RODI water storage

PerceptivePesce

Does anyone else use a 32g Brute garbage can to hold water? I can't seem to find a weight rating for this can. I'm wondering if I could reinforce the can container by wrapping the can in duct tape? I also want to add a bulkhead fitting to the bottom of the can, will that weaken the containers ability to hold water?

Also, I like the brute dolly, it is rated for 250lbs. The dolly's footprint isn't larger than the footprint of the can- I really like that.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:19 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

Does anyone else use a 32g Brute garbage can to hold water? I can't seem to find a weight rating for this can. I'm wondering if I could reinforce the can container by wrapping the can in duct tape? I also want to add a bulkhead fitting to the bottom of the can, will that weaken the containers ability to hold water?

Also, I like the brute dolly, it is rated for 250lbs. The dolly's footprint isn't larger than the footprint of the can- I really like that.

That is exactly what I’m using now and what I used years ago for my previous RO storage when I had salt water tanks.  I use a rolling one on the dolly to premix my RO with tap with dechlorinator.  Then I pump it back into tanks for water changes with a big powerhead with a valve and home made disperser.

D8F6CB10-EBD8-4FED-9641-B51287DD8FF7.jpeg

• Like 2

The bulkhead could be an issue unless you mount it to the very bottom in a flat spot. Bulkheads don't like curves so any side penetration would likely fail. The Brute dolly design looks like you might be able to knock out that round thing in the middle of it but you'd need to be sure the bulkhead fit in cleanly.

brute dolly.jpeg

Edited by gardenman
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:34 AM, gardenman said:

The bulkhead could be an issue unless you mount it to the very bottom in a flat spot. Bulkheads don't like curves so any side penetration would likely fail. The Brute dolly design looks like you might be able to knock out that round thing in the middle of it but you'd need to be sure the bulkhead fit in cleanly.

I’ve got bulk heads in the sides of mine with no issue, including a couple small ones for the “sight glass” to monitor water level.  Had a nearly identical set up (larger tube for sight glass previously) with the same bulkheads in the previous barrel for years with no issues and no leaks.  Might have gotten lucky, but we had that unit set up in the same place and the same way for almost a decade(?) and didn’t have any leaks.  I can’t remember exactly when we set it up or took it down since that’s been around 20 years ago.  Seems like we set it up around ‘95 or ‘96?  Probably took it down around ‘06ish since we weren’t using it anymore.  Pic is current RO barrel set up with the sight “glass” (actually translucent silicone tubing), and the valve to gravity drain into my rolling barrel.

A900C1AA-27AF-4DFD-A14B-FA5F8C37CF52.jpeg

• Love 1

Interesting. I've put bulkheads in the upper part of cheaper Rubbermaid trash cans for rainwater collection, but they have a flat spot so I never had to use one on a curved part. I've always just assumed the curved wall and the flat bulkhead wouldn't be a good fit. I guess the sidewall is flexible enough to conform to the flatness of the bulkhead.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:55 AM, gardenman said:

Interesting. I've put bulkheads in the upper part of cheaper Rubbermaid trash cans for rainwater collection, but they have a flat spot so I never had to use one on a curved part. I've always just assumed the curved wall and the flat bulkhead wouldn't be a good fit. I guess the sidewall is flexible enough to conform to the flatness of the bulkhead.

Just always make certain the gasket goes on the inside.  😉 😆  The barrel side doesn’t appear to flatten significantly at the bulk head but it must flatten just enough.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 1

Instead of a bulkhead in the curved brute can, you can get a uniseal. it is a rubber gasket that goes in a hole that you drill in the side, then you slide a PVC pipe in, its very tight, and will need lube, and it pushes the seal out against the can to be water tight. I know a lot of reef keeping people use brute cans to store RO water and mix saltwater for water changes in and use the uniseals. 

Amazon.com: 1" UNISEAL Flexible Tank Adapter (Bulkhead) - 2 Pack : Industrial & Scientific

As for the brute can dolly, they may only be rated for 250lbs, but we used a brute can with dolly in a LFS I worked in years ago to do water changes, draining the water into the can and then taking it and tipping it over in the parking lot outside. This was before anyone had heard of auto water change systems, and we dumped it outside to avoid it going down the drains because the city had a meter on the sewer discharge and you got billed accordingly for that as well as the water. 

• Like 1