Water Lettuce thrives in one tank but not another?

I have two goldfish tanks: a 75 and a 55. They both have the exact same parameters and I dose with easy green to keep the floaters happy. 6.8ph 0ammonia, 0nitrite, around 30ppm nitrates (easy green). 
I have water lettuce in the 75 and they THRIVE and multiply.. but if I move a few to the 55– which is basically the exact same— they die within a week. What is the deal??

On 9/26/2022 at 4:03 PM, jwcarlson said:

Same lighting?  How do the roots look on the ones that die off on you?  I know if I break the roots off mine they sure don't seem to do too well or at least are set way back.

Any different tankmates?

Hm.. maybe it is the lighting. I just ordered a new light for the 55 that is a bit more powerful than the current but I guess it doesn’t measure up to the aquasky. 
I will test it out once the new one comes in, though it would surprise me. They float on top so its not like the light isn’t reaching the lettuce you know?

Any particularly brutish inhabitants?  I just have dwarf water lettuce, so maybe the root structure if different, but the roots seem pretty fragile so if there's a really mouthy goldfish or something real clumsy they might be doing damage?  I know if the majority of the root gets broken off they don't seem to do well.

I would agree that I wouldn't seem to take too much light to keep water lettuce alive considering where it's at in the tank.  

On 9/26/2022 at 5:11 PM, jwcarlson said:

Any particularly brutish inhabitants?  I just have dwarf water lettuce, so maybe the root structure if different, but the roots seem pretty fragile so if there's a really mouthy goldfish or something real clumsy they might be doing damage?  I know if the majority of the root gets broken off they don't seem to do well.

I would agree that I wouldn't seem to take too much light to keep water lettuce alive considering where it's at in the tank.  

There is one goldfish that likes to “peck” at them occasionally but outside of that its pretty much left alone (at least from what I witness). That explanation seems to make the most sense.. which is a shame because I love the way it looks in the tank!