Vintage air pumps

rockfisher

I saw saw this vintage  air pump at 4am on eBay I thought it was interested. If I had the extra money I would buy just to have here. I thought on of you with a vintage tank might like it. This is not mine I’m not associated with it in any way. I though it cool am it might go with someone’s vintage setup

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204099101810?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=f03kZyOJSQC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=v0AGUAjUSm-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 4

Back in the day, those were the high-end hobbyist type of pumps. They moved a lot of air. They also needed a lot of maintenance. The motor needed oiling. The belts needed replacing. They often used felt as the facing on the piston and that would get worn and need replacing. When they were finely tuned and working well, they were largely unbeatable in that era. They were also pretty loud. Supreme was the big maker of them back in my day. They also used the same motors on their Aqua King and Super King power filters. 

• Like 2

Supreme/Danner made those type of pumps under the Airmaster and Dynamaster labels. You can still find them around in thrift stores and eBay. They were on their way out by the 60's as the more modern type was replacing them. Supreme used those same motors on a variety of items. You could find the same motor on their HOBs, diatom filters, and airpumps. They did a good job, but with exposed belts and moving parts you'd get sued out of existence if you tried to market an air pump like that today.

• Like 2