Question about the Co Op Heater

Ben_RF

Does anyone know if the casing for the heater can be removed to remove dead snails?  It appears very similar to what NICREW and a few others have produced.  The only problem I found with those is that snails (e.g., ramshorn and mts) eventually would die off enough in the unit to cause it to short circuit.  I would love to get some more this style of unit if there is a way to open it up to clean.  

• Like 2

On 9/22/2022 at 12:10 PM, Mitch_ScruffyCityAquatics said:

I’m curious @Guppysnail, what size tanks are you putting the 50s in?

8.75 front slant funny shape Aqueon shrimp tank (don’t get these they are miserable to work around the slanted top) and 5gal aquatop rimless all in one cube. I use the 100s on the rest of my tanks 10 gal to 40 gallon. They didn’t have 50s when I ordered those. 

• Like 1

@Guppysnailwhat about a 75? Any experience with a larger tank? I currently have two 100s in my 75 gallon, but they are almost three years old. I need to have replacements on the ready. 

thanks again. 

As far as the original question, I believe they are referring to the honey comb looking area that allows water flow. 

B62E0C79-45C8-44F6-BB92-4768B4180594.jpeg

On 9/22/2022 at 11:23 AM, Mitch_ScruffyCityAquatics said:

@Guppysnailwhat about a 75? Any experience with a larger tank? I currently have two 100s in my 75 gallon, but they are almost three years old. I need to have replacements on the ready

I have two running in my 75 currently. No complaints, but this time of year I only need the water at most 4 degrees above where it settles on it's own. In a few months I'll be keeping it 13 degrees over what my thermostat is set to at night. We'll see how they hold up to that.

• Like 3