Can’t keep otocinclus alive past 36 hours

onlywei

I need help/advice on keeping otocinclus alive. They completely fall apart in my water. I’ve gotten 16 in the past two weeks from various stores around the area. They all died within 48 hours of adding to the quarantine tank.

I drip acclimated them for 2-3 hours. I made sure algae, wood, and plants were in the quarantine tank. I of course had a pre-established filter running in the tank as well — two in fact! 

What is it about my water that causes them to die? I have a water softener using potassium instead of salt. This results in 0dGh, 5dKh water with 8.2-8.5 PH. I know the PH is not ideal for otocinclus, but I figured drip acclimation would resolve that issue. The quarantine tank is at 78 degrees Fahrenheit.

I can’t believe I’m having a 100% death rate on otos. Other fish do fine in my water. Even German Blue Rams are breeding in my water. How is it that otos are more sensitive than rams?

• Sad 1

I don't know anything about GBRs really, aside from the fact that they like temps in the 80s.  I do know that otos often come to the stores very thin and sickly; they have a really hard journey and as far as I understand they are completely vegetarian and almost an obligate algae eater (but they like zucchini and similar stuff...hence "almost" obligate :classic_wink:).  So, unlike more "flexible" fish, they often starve throughout the shipping process (from the wild to the final destination).  It may be that the ones arriving at your stores are not in great condition. 

That said, last year I happened to see a lot of very healthy otocinclus at an LFS - they had nice, fat little bellies and my 45-gal tank at home had a lot of nice, green algae growing on the walls and on the leaves.  I bought 6 of them.  One died the next day, and 3 more "disappeared" over the following 6 months or so.  A year later, I've got 2 left.  No predators/harassers and still plenty of algae in the tank.  It's the worst survival rate aside from some dwarf-spotted danios I got last June (I got 12, have 1 left...they had some kind of parasitic infection I believe).  So yes I think they are just very sensitive...

Edited by Jess
  • Like 2

I have never been able to keep otos alive for more than a year. I've noticed that they do not like algae wafers and instead feed on biofilm that naturally develops in established tanks. I have tried 3 different brands of algae wafers, zucchini, cucumbers, spirulina and they have ignored it all. They just graze on biofilm on the wood and rocks. I think eventually they run out of food and starve. I can't figure them out. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Ottos are ideally low ph fish in wild. Unlike rams they have not been tank bred giving rams more ph flexibility. They are still wild caught. often starving when they get to a lfs and weak and alot smaller in size compared to rams. Honestly if you truly want ottos for your tank I would lower ph. If your looking for algae scrapers maybe panda Gara. If you need plants cleaned maybe shrimp but ph would likely be issue there also.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, onlywei said:

Even if I drip-acclimate for three hours?

Yes you can still get osmotic stock after three hours as most Otto's are wild caught and live in soft acidic water with your higher pH it can be to much for them 

Edited by Colu

IME Otos are just overall super sensitive fish. My pH has always been between 7.2 and 7.8. I started my journey with 7 and lost 6 within a week (this was 2020) then I got 6 more and they all lived through QT. Those original 7 spawned and continue to spawn. From 7 to 50+ in a 20 gallon tank (and currently 9 babies in floating breeders that will go on to new homes). They are difficult fish but wonderful when you can get them to live past the initial few weeks/months. If you're getting them from a LFS I've actually asked for the water from their tanks and set up a QT with it, then slowly over the QT period with water changes it turns to "my" water. Add some Indian Almond leaf to your water. I make a tea every week I add to all my tanks- this seems to have greatly improved all my aquarium inhabitants health. 

Lowering that pH should help. As has been said they are likely 100% wild caught that you are buying.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Like 1

I know Cory has mentioned before that sometimes when they die it is because they have gone too long without food and just can't be saved before you get them, but I feel like at least some should survive. That is no fun. I've lost about 2/3 of all hillstream loaches I've ever tried to get as well.
There is a whole video dedicated to ottos from just before or just after the most recent Peru trip

Your Ph is extremely high for oto's, nor do I feel that they will live at this high level. I keep mine at 7.0 which is still a little high, but most of mine are offspring from my breeding pairs. They are in a tank with twigs and lots of leaf litter. I feed Repashy(available @ Aquarium Co-Op) Super Green, Bottom Scratcher and Soilent Green and Zucchini and Green Beans. They seem to enjoy these types of food.

• Like 1

I always wanted to try Otto  but i heard they was hard to keep alive  and I know my ph is to high for them   I head they can starve  easy if you do not keep algae for them

I set up a new Red Cherry shrimp tank that has plants and it got algae  the shrimp and netrite snails took care of the algae 

i always buy fish to match my ph plus I buy all my fish from the same one LFS    a local mom and pops store they  have healthy fish and treats fish before selling plus  they have same  ph as mine I never buy from big box fish stores learn my lesson when starting out in the hobby  ..  i drive 2 hours to get to the fish shop but worth it  

• Like 1

I think girl talks fish mentioned that lots of them are wild caught and that they may already be pretty stressed out. She recommended looking for cubby ones so you know they are well fend and adding the store what their water parameters have been, if they're eating, if they are wild caught, and how long they've had them to get an idea for if they are healthy and what kind of setup they need.

• Like 1