What is THIS???

BAT

On 9/19/2022 at 6:58 PM, BAT said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea I woke up to more this morning after I lowered the water level so the incubator could fit! See pic. 
tomorrow can I put these in same incubator?

BDC92C1F-2660-4BE3-88B5-4D37450F4B53.jpeg

Technically, yes, but I’d recommend just hatching the one because the first one is pretty big and has the potential for a lot of snails. 

I would recommend waiting the day for this clutch to harden and then removing it, freezing it in a ziplock. Later crush and dispose. Most humane way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have a breeder box. I have them in a plastic container floating on the top of the tank.  Should i buy a breeder box?

also - am i crumbling the clutch bc they have all hatched? Both clutches? How do you know there are no more snails to hatch?

On 10/1/2022 at 12:40 PM, BAT said:

I dont have a breeder box. I have them in a plastic container floating on the top of the tank.  Should i buy a breeder box?

also - am i crumbling the clutch bc they have all hatched? Both clutches? How do you know there are no more snails to hatch?

You can crumble into a bare bottom tank or a breeder box. Or some people let them roam in the tank on the substrate, it’s just harder to keep track of them that way when they are small. You should crumble the clutch to assist the other snails out. Sometimes not all eggs hatch because some eggs have a harder shell than others, and the snails cannot chew through it. Crumbling is greatest success rate. 

@BAT I have no internet at home since I went through the hurricane. I’m connected now temporarily because I’m at a hospital. Stay in touch with @Guppysnail. She is very good with snail hatching and has had great success!

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 7:00 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@BAT my internet connection is back up. How are things going?

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeathanks for checking! I looked through your diary as @Guppysnailand you suggested. And watched Lavs snail videos. 
I was worried I had killed them because I hadn’t checked on them in many days when I had found them yesterday. But i but then in a breeding box as directed and they moved around last night! See pic. 
I put in calcium and pulverized algae and sinking tablets. 
I have to watch the videos on cleaning etc. any major tips? Things to watch out for based on your experience?

btw - Bluey has been on a tear- she made 3 more clutches! Can I take them off the glass if it’s been more than 24 hours? Like a week later? I was going to do an experiment and see how the glass ones do. They are still hanging on a week later. 

8CD1719E-3B5F-4751-9EAF-6AB7DD58802B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Snails try to lay eggs in the perfect hatching environment. My niece has accidentally hatched clutches that she didn’t see in her tanks. So feel free to leave it there and wait and see if it hatches. I just caution you because they grow quick and you will be overrun with Snails.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 9:06 AM, Guppysnail said:

Snails try to lay eggs in the perfect hatching environment. My niece has accidentally hatched clutches that she didn’t see in her tanks. So feel free to leave it there and wait and see if it hatches. I just caution you because they grow quick and you will be overrun with Snails.

When they are overrun - those throat survive- I was going to move to another tank. Think that is ok?

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea@Guppysnailmy pest snails are invading the breeder box! See pic

I will put the lid on. 

any other tips??

21038B21-078B-4DFE-A5C5-5EC1D2DDD494.jpeg

On 10/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, BAT said:

When they are overrun - those throat survive- I was going to move to another tank. Think that is ok?

Sure that’s fine. I try to space out what I allow to hatch. It’s only a portion of being overrun that is and issue. They eat A LOT and the fiercer the competition for food and calcium the less each get. 

• Thanks 1

Oh @BAT

They are so cute!!

Your breeder box probably came with a lid. You can remove the pest snails and put the lid on the box. For any clutches you do not wish to hatch, you can remove after 24 hours, freeze in ziplock, then crush, then dispose.

Click my link below in my signature line for the breeder box guide. The turkey baster is your best friend. Remove uneaten food daily. Check removed debris for snails and return them to breeder box.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not either. I got a snail food kit from lifewithpetsgci.com.  It had Soilent Green repashy, calcium carbonate, and cuttlebone - oh and also calciumc chips.  You mix the first 2 together with hot water and let it set for 20 minutes, then you can cut it into cubes.  (If you scroll down the page where you buy the product, the different recipes can be found there)  The cuttlebone can be broken up and you can throw a chunk into the tank. It will slowly release calcium into the water.  Same with the calcium chips but they will become powder the day you put them in. They contain calcium and spirulina, and gelatin as a binder.

One nice idea for food is crab cuisine.  You can get it almost anywhere and it contains the calcium they need for their shells.  The newborns might not eat it at first because they go after biofilm or whatever is coating the walls of their breeder box, but as they grow they will consume it.

Also my baby snails liked java moss.  They liked to attach to it.

Also I heard crayfish empire has a lot of nice snail food choices, although I haven't purchased from them. I plan to in the future once I get through some of the food I already have.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great suggestion! I have crab cuisine and will keep that in mind for when they are bigger. 

question- when do you know that all the snails have hatched? I started breaking down the second clutch and then noticed that inside there was some goo. I hope i didn’t kill anything. I just wasn’t sure when it was done “hatching”

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, BAT said:

Great suggestion! I have crab cuisine and will keep that in mind for when they are bigger. 

question- when do you know that all the snails have hatched? I started breaking down the second clutch and then noticed that inside there was some goo. I hope i didn’t kill anything. I just wasn’t sure when it was done “hatching”

Once some snails have hatched that’s it. Any eggs that were crispy (fragile, easily broke) or gooey when you crumbled were not viable and did not contain any snails. This is common.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2022 at 2:37 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Also I heard crayfish empire has a lot of nice snail food choices

I received lazy pellets and calcium carbonate spirulina chips samples with my spixii snails. They were a HUGE hit across the board with my snails. I ordered both.  They don’t have a lot of protein so I would not use that as an only food. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Friends! @Chick-In-Of-TheSeaand @Guppysnail the snails are growing! and I have managed to keep pest snails out. I remove any babies that sneak in. See pic. 

also- one of the glass clutches has broken open- see pic. I picked up some babies that dropped in the water- QUESTION- should I remove the clutch from the wall? Or continue to let nature have its way?

2E23D18C-7B8D-4F31-A50C-2ED09A1F110D.jpeg

18F21682-A3F4-4320-96B0-AD0666791762.jpeg

• Like 2