can i float hygrophila pinnatifida if it has no roots?

DrwHem

So i ordered some hygrophila pinnatifida to glue to some rocks. I pretty much got scammed as i paid $20 for 3 STEMS with no roots at all. Now im stuck with these things with no roots or way to connect them to the rocks and if i plant them down in my substrate im afraid they wont get enough light to thrive. The rocks i intend them for are about 3 to 4 inches above the substrate level.

Can these plants be floated for a few weeks to get them some roots so i can glue them down later?

Yes, they can float.  Pretty much any aquatic plant can float for a few weeks and many can float indefinitely.  They may not keep the same form when floating, but they will still grow if conditions are correct - light, nutrients, temp, etc.  Some will change leaf form dramatically (water wisteria for instance), some just get a little twisted trying to turn to the light.  As far as I know pinnatifida doesn’t change form significantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi @DrwHem

Actually I attached stem cuttings (no roots) to my hardscape using superglue (I used Loctite Gel) and they grew roots and thrived.  If the conditions are good there should be no problems although do not expect any new growth until the roots have emerged and started to attach to the hardscape.  Hope this helps! -Roy

H. pinnitafida at arrows ("A" original plant & "B" runner)
1453908167_2022-03-1845GallonMklasioensisCatropersonatusCroppedAdjSnSmArrow.jpg.d3373dea8ee263769a8395f9433e8d98.jpg

1180681945_2022-03-2045GallonMklasioensisCatropersonatusAdjSnSmArrows.jpg.cb9892abae370253bb182447f2996b12.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Stem plants don't mind floating. If anything, you'll see new side-stems starting because of the closer proximity to atmospheric CO2. Floating is also a strategy stem plants use in order to proliferate and expand their range. Personally I've had a bunch of Sagittaria filiformis floating in a bucket with aquarium water for a month with hardly any change.

Edited by OutBout
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 10:51 PM, Odd Duck said:

Pretty much any aquatic plant can float for a few weeks and many can float indefinitely.  

Truth! I have had a crypt parva float for months, was pretty neat to observe how the roots it had from when it was in the substrate die off and a thicker looking root (yes, singular) appear to replace the lost roots.

• Like 1