Any knitting Nerms out there?

KittenFishMom

I have started knitting again. I like this hat, from Raverly.com. I wondered if anyone has customized it to look like a neon tetra or and other living fish?  I figure a goldfish or even a koi might be easy. Before I start charting things out, I thought I would see if the forum had anything in their knitting files.

And yes, all my yarn holders are over stocked. Thank goodness you don't need to feed yarn.]

1585208292_fishhat.jpg.f256487a28a9b965b64f250be5fb7d30.jpg

On 9/13/2022 at 1:19 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@PineSong I learned everything I know about knitting from YouTube. You can start and stop and back up a video 100's of times, and no one rolls theirs eyes. If you don't like the way someone explains a stick, you just find someone else to explain it. No hard feelings  at all. Ravelry.com is free and WONDERFUL !!

That’s how I learned crochet, but knitting has kicked my behind! I do love the “watch it again and again” feature!

On 9/13/2022 at 12:19 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@PineSong I learned everything I know about knitting from YouTube. You can start and stop and back up a video 100's of times, and no one rolls theirs eyes. If you don't like the way someone explains a stick, you just find someone else to explain it. No hard feelings  at all. Ravelry.com is free and WONDERFUL !!

That's how I learned too.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:59 PM, PineSong said:

That’s how I learned crochet, but knitting has kicked my behind! I do love the “watch it again and again” feature!

Oh, that could be why. I've heard so many people say they have trouble learning the other one, no matter which they learned first.

I learned both at the same time (about a hundred years ago) and knitting was harder.  Crocheting has a bit more definitive control of the yarn where knitting has that *moment* as you transfer that is more likely for you to drop the stitch.  I never even got to any fancy techniques/stitches in knitting but most of the crochet stitches aren’t that hard unless you’re using very fine yarn or thread doing tiny, delicate work.

On 9/13/2022 at 8:42 PM, Katherine said:

That's how I learned too.

Oh, that could be why. I've heard so many people say they have trouble learning the other one, no matter which they learned first.

I actually learned to knit about long before I learned crochet. If you can believe it, I took knitting classes for more than a year before there even was an internet! I went to weekly knit sessions with a teacher who would help fix mistakes. I had two friends who could knit anything under the sun show me over and over and over what I was doing wrong. All of that produced one vest for a 4 year old, one sweater for a 5 year old, and one really, really, large and expensive sock.

Finally, another friend said "Just give up and learn to crochet!" so I did.  Every now and then I think "maybe I'll sign up for that easy socks class at the yarn shop"...it might happen one day, but for now....washcloths!

• Like 1

Should I say I also like to needle tat when my thumbs are acting up? I learned that from YouTube too. Very portable. After you buy a few inexpensive needles and thread, you are good to go. You can spend an arm and a leg on knitting tools, never mind expensive yarn, I think needle tatting would be a great kids hobby. As I remember that are only 2 stiches.  You can make pretty things like snow flakes. You stick pin them to cardboard and spray with spray starch if you want to get fancy.

I think know one does it anymore because the store don't make much money on it compared to knitting or embroidery.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:18 PM, Streetwise said:

I have heard that knitting clubs are a great way for people to hang out casually, while being busy.

Arghghg, sorry Streetwise! I forgot not to quote you. Apologies!

They absolutely are. There are also crochet gatherings, and in our town there is a place where woodworkers can go to do woodworking. What we are short on here is community gardens. 

Edited by PineSong
Realized I'd violated Streetwise's request!
  • Like 1

My son goes to "Maker Space" where people get together and build and invent things. They have meeting once a week. People who are inventing things bounce ideas off each other and get advice in fields they are not trained in. My son decided to take a huge old movie camera and turn it into a projector for the same film for a steam punk costume. He used the original wind up motor and gears and LEDs as a light source and projected through the original lens. It was a good bit of tricky work in tight spaces. It worked nicely. 

I forgot to say that the body of the camera was polished wood. very steampunk looking

Edited by KittenFishMom
  • Love 1

I'm a crochet, taught by my granny she did the most beautiful stuff.

I go through fads with it though and haven't picked up my hooks for at least a year. I'm pretty much at the scarf level in knitting.

The internet has been a game changer in the hobbies.

I'll have to see if I can find a fishy project to share.