Planted Water Sprite

Cinnebuns

I'm bringing the discussion from my post in plants to here. The question was:  do water column feeders like water sprite need or benefit from root tabs when planted. 

I got some conflicting answers so decided to run an experiment. It's not entirely scientific because I apparently have lost some of my water sprite and don't have equal plants on both sides. Both sides do however have roots growing. I made sure of that. 

Originally I put the root tab with the taller plant. I quickly moved the root tab to the other side realizing that it would make my results better to trust. It easily could turn out the larger one grows more purely because it's more established. I don't want to contribute this to the root tab. 

This is in the left corner without a root tab. Today it measures 8 inches from the bottom. 

20220910_202329.jpg.eae1e5cddb9a63a4251a118c0c1ed821.jpg

This is in the right corner with a root tab. It measures 3.5 inches from the bottom. 

20220910_202325.jpg.48b02079c0ff2b564ff350cac52d51db.jpg

I'm a pretend scientist doing a method to the best of my knowledge so any input to make this better is welcome!  Ty!

Oh I forgot to add. Both are receiving easy green dosed in the tank. 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2022 at 9:42 PM, redfish said:

This will be a fun experiment.  You probably need less variables to really help prove which method worked best but you should be able to get some results for forming your opinion.   I’ll be waiting on your updates!

Which variable do you mean specifically?  Maybe you mean the unequality of the 2 plants?  And I agree it won't be scientific enough to PROVE anything but at least a step given what I have. I really wish I had some better plants to make both sides more even but it is what it is. As long as I, and others, keep that in mind in terms of the results. 

• Love 1

Yeah, different heights and how healthy is each plant might be. Are you using any light on the tank?  Were both plants(right and left) planted previously?  I’m doing similar experiments with water sprite too.  Floating vs planted.  Planted with and without root tabs.

Questions I think about in my tests:

Are there other plants in the tank feeding from the water column?  How often will you check for nitrates to see if there is equivalent food as the root tabs?  Does that even matter?

Edited by redfish

Looks good to me. I'd probably go the same route as you, loosely scientific, though I might not have thought to measure the plants (I'd have went on the even looser "well that one looks bigger, I think" with nothing concrete to compare, so yeah smart thinking on the measurements). My instinct has me betting that the root tab side will have an extra edge on growth rate. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out after a few weeks!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 10:19 PM, redfish said:

Yeah, different heights and how healthy is each plant might be. Are you using any light on the tank?  Were both plants(right and left) planted previously?  I’m doing similar experiments with water sprite too.  Floating vs planted.  Planted with and without root tabs.

Questions I think about in my tests:

Are there other plants in the tank feeding from the water column?  How often will you check for nitrates to see if there is equivalent food as the root tabs?  Does that even matter?

All good points. Both plants were previously floating so that's equal on both sides. I would say the nitrates level isn't going to matter since they both will be getting the same. It's not so much about how fast they grow overall but compared to each other. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 2:58 PM, redfish said:

Probably too soon for a check in?  I know plants grow slowly getting started.

I was thinking of doing a measurement tomorrow. I did doa visual inspection today and parts seems less green on both. I will have to take a pic tomorrow and compare. 

Edit:  I just looked at the original pics and didn't realize how much brown was on then at the start. Maybe they aren't less green lol

• Like 2

So "no root tab" gained height (+1.5 inches) but the root tab didn't.  Both filled out some and look greener.

On 9/10/2022 at 8:34 PM, Cinnebuns said:

This is in the left corner without a root tab. Today it measures 8 inches from the bottom. 

This is in the right corner with a root tab. It measures 3.5 inches from the bottom. 

On 9/14/2022 at 6:09 PM, Cinnebuns said:

The right side with the root tab now measures 3.5 inches. 

Left side without root tab now measures 9.5 inches 

To me they both look more green and more full too but equally so. 

Good job!

Both are definitely greener. Seeing the lack of upward growth on the root tab side has me wondering if that side is investing in its roots while the one without the tab is investing in upward/outward growth. Not worth disturbing them to check at this point, but might be something you could consider comparing once the experiment concludes.

On 9/15/2022 at 12:54 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I planted the water sprite with a root tab and it got very upset.  So then I just pulled it out and floated it, following the suggestion from @TeeJay and it's much happier.

Yes I could never get them to grow planted. Took about 6 weeks floating to get them really going. But when they did I went from 2 plants to about 10 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 8:51 PM, redfish said:

@Cinnebuns how’s it going?  Have you been able to keep up with your experiment?  

Yes and no. I actually thought about this today. I've been busy lately so it did slip my mind but I had planned on doing a measurement today but again too many things came up. Hopefully I can soon since it's been awhile. 

I will say I did do a visual inspection. They don't APPEAR to be taller but the one with the root tabs does look greener. 

• Love 1