What kind of veggies/fruit would the clan like?

FishPlanet

On 9/9/2022 at 1:08 PM, FishPlanet said:

Hey guys! Looking for suggestions on fruits/veggies that I can feed the aquatic clan. Let me know how to prepare them too. TIA!

Like mentioned earlier, who is in your clan? 

Anywho, Brussel sprouts beans and cucumber will be loved by shrimp and bottom dwelling fish. 

My snails always go for mainly green beans. Sometimes a bit of zucchini or a slice of carrot. I usually keep frozen veggies for this but if you have fresh hand is always a plus. Just boil in water until soft. Of course carrots usually take a couple more mins than the rest. I like to put mine in the tank at lights out. And I take out what's left in the morning. If anything is left lol. I use a plant weight to hold them down. And keep a terra cotta pot plant saucer to serve on. 🤗

My mystery snails like cabbage, sweet potato, green beans, zucchini, carrot, and squash.  I have also seen the nerites eat the zucchini and the sweet potato, on rare occasions.  They usually just clean the hardscape & glass.  Cabbage & carrot - boil 20 minutes. The other, firmer veg I mentioned - 10 minutes.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 8:38 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My mystery snails like cabbage, sweet potato, green beans, zucchini, carrot, and squash.  I have also seen the nerites eat the zucchini and the sweet potato, on rare occasions.  They usually just clean the hardscape & glass.  Cabbage & carrot - boil 20 minutes. The other veg I mentioned - 10 minutes.

So you boil zucchini for ten minutes before feeding?  Is there some advantage to this over feeding it raw.  Or feeding it blanched (boiled about one minute?)

I've been tossing in a little zucchini occasionally and the bristlenose, shrimp, and snails really seem to like it.  I haven't cooked it at all.  It floats, so I have to stick a fork in it or wrap a plant weight around it, but they're even eating most of the skins.  I suppose blanching might make it sink, now that I think of it.

On 9/19/2022 at 2:01 PM, jwcarlson said:

So you boil zucchini for ten minutes before feeding?  Is there some advantage to this over feeding it raw.  Or feeding it blanched (boiled about one minute?)

I've been tossing in a little zucchini occasionally and the bristlenose, shrimp, and snails really seem to like it.  I haven't cooked it at all.  It floats, so I have to stick a fork in it or wrap a plant weight around it, but they're even eating most of the skins.  I suppose blanching might make it sink, now that I think of it.

Sorry - 

Zucchini, cucumber & squash can all be fed raw or blanched.

• Like 1

@FishPlanetYou can boil or feed raw … the vegetables … But I usually feed my babies raw vegetables  i feed carrots, zucchini, spinach, kale, cabbage , occasionally cucumber or green beans if you feed can green beans no  salt …

you might have to weight down  so it will not float  i have vegetables screws  for most vegetables the green beans are smaller and i use plant weights for the beans 

my babies love carrots and zucchini the best  i always keep carrots for me , my puppy and the tank babies 😂  i tried   lettuce and broccoli they do not care for  it much but my first bristolnose  loved peeled broccoli stems ( not the top  flower  brush part )  the flower part makes a big mess 

I usually remove the seeds in the vegetable if they have seeds they do not eat the seeds and they make a mess 

if you feed raw you can leave it up 24 hours if there is any left  it might take them a little while to start eating it but they will 

my new snails love  fresh green beans too   only one i  boil is fresh green beans they do not get as mushy

i boil the  the fresh green beans for 3 minutes and then let it set in ice cold water for 3 minutes  it cooks it but they say firmer if you let it set in ice cold water 

I want to try sweet potato though 

Edited by Bev C