Stocking question for 14 gal cube

Tayturs

Hello folks!

I have recently set up an aqueon 14 gallon cube (apologies for picture fogginess, It has since cleared up and is cycled via medium from an established tank). It has lava rock, fluval stratum substrate and spider wood as well as live plants.

This tank is directly behind my desk so it is seen when I’m in zoom calls for work. I want the stocking to be something colorful enough to be visible and pleasant looking even over webcam.

My current thoughts are a female betta, a blue neon dwarf gourami and possibly some blue axelrodi rasbora OR neon green rasbora. I know some of these may be incompatible however, so I wanted advice from any with experience keeping these species together, or other possible centerpiece fish suggestions?

Thank you!!

89571183-D87E-4FA3-959C-32C34F8F761E.jpeg.06e354210a833216d76e2804505470d2.jpeg

Edited by Tayturs

Hello.  I don't know what you think of this idea, but for a tank that size I'd go with just a school of either of the rasboras.  You could try adding a betta, but when you think about it that means there's room for two or three fewer rasboras.  The longer I keep fish the more I appreciate fewer kinds of fish in a tank, with more of each kind.

I wouldn't even consider a dwarf gourami.  The health issues they're often plagued with would be reason enough, even without the frequent aggression issues as they reach sexual maturity.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, JettsPapa said:

Hello.  I don't know what you think of this idea, but for a tank that size I'd go with just a school of either of the rasboras.  You could try adding a betta, but when you think about it that means there's room for two or three fewer rasboras.  The longer I keep fish the more I appreciate fewer kinds of fish in a tank, with more of each kind.

I wouldn't even consider a dwarf gourami.  The health issues they're often plagued with would be reason enough, even without the frequent aggression issues as they reach sexual maturity.

I don’t dislike this idea, my main concern is that the nano fish won’t be visible enough through a webcam, and it’ll just look like I have an empty tank behind me.

I may try a female betta (more peaceful, and I like the short fins better anyway) and I have backup tanks to put her in if she doesn’t get along well. I typically like bettas more than gouramis, but I’ve had them before and wanted to try something new. 🤔

On 9/8/2022 at 2:44 AM, Tayturs said:

Hello folks!

I have recently set up an aqueon 14 gallon cube (apologies for picture fogginess, It has since cleared up and is cycled via medium from an established tank). It has lava rock, fluval stratum substrate and spider wood as well as live plants.

This tank is directly behind my desk so it is seen when I’m in zoom calls for work. I want the stocking to be something colorful enough to be visible and pleasant looking even over webcam.

My current thoughts are a female betta, a blue neon dwarf gourami and possibly some blue axelrodi rasbora OR neon green rasbora. I know some of these may be incompatible however, so I wanted advice from any with experience keeping these species together, or other possible centerpiece fish suggestions?

Thank you!!

89571183-D87E-4FA3-959C-32C34F8F761E.jpeg.06e354210a833216d76e2804505470d2.jpeg

I would try a Flame Honey Gourami and some Chili Rasboras. Both bright red and should be easily spotted in the green aquascape. 

I would always recommend a honey gourami for a tank like this or the small rasboras. There is a lot to be appreciated in a single species tank I think but ultimately the decision is yours!

Just dont do a dwarf gourami those things are nightmares. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 2:32 PM, macdaddy36 said:

I think a honey gourami would be a good option, but honey gourami do better in group, So I think a female betta with some small schooling fish would be better, especially if you can move the Betta if it is to agressive

. . . or just a group of honey gouramis.

• Like 1