Circular Flow Breeding Aquarium

Tim Hopkins

Alright, I give.  I've looked around and can't find what I seek.  A couple of years ago, Cory was doing a walkthrough tour of someone's fishroom.  There was a breeding aquarium highlighted where the adults were on the right side, split the tank with a solid divider, false bottom for eggs to fall through, and the left side had a sponge filter that pulled the water from the right and lifted it to the top to overflow back to the right side.  The flow of water pulled the eggs to the right where they could hatch and not be eaten.

I'm interested in building this with a 20 Tall I have, but needed one more look at the tank before starting my own construction.  Does anyone remember this?

• Administrators

I think you're mixing two designs. A false bottom for egg scatterers works but you remove the adults. The other would be where you separate fry from the parents. I'll explain that below.

I'm not sure I ever showed it, but essentially you silicone glass in the tank to make a V from one end to the other, so that the adult fish can't get to the other side. Then you use a powerhead at the bottom of the tank that slowly blows from the side with the parents through the v, leaving the fry on the other end, they can then go behind the glass to get away from the flow and wait to be netted out by the hobbyist. 

The design defiantly had a way to push the eggs to the side opposite the parents, but the bonus part of it was the parents could stay in the tank for days with repetitive breeding, whereas if it's just a false bottom the eggs hatch and start to swim above the false bottom.

I wish I could remember whose room you were touring.  That was when I was in watch-every-cory-video mode a couple of years ago.