Help me learn RO stuff

PerceptivePesce

I've been researching pre-made shrimp mixes, trying to find out what's in them, and/or reviewing their post-additionwater analysis. (One manufacturer replied with a water analysis!)

I've also been playing with rotalabutterfly.com and wondering if I could add different multiple Ca & Mg sources so it's not all Sulfide.  Maybe replace some of the Sulfide with some Na and Cl ions. Does anyone have any experience doing this or have any opinions on doing this?

Also, on the calculator, I noticed dolomite mineral adds Ca & Mg and increases kH.  Can anyone explain why?  Maybe rotala left out the CO3 part?

Screenshot_20220914-202213_Chrome.jpg.cbb6ab6e99efce23203af3151a80026c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 1:28 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I don't aerate my RO water, it's unnecessary. Also, you can't pH 0TDS water, but the science says it's a pH of 7. 

Cool 😎  I'll be able to fill my tank today.  I'm using your recipe @Mmiller2001 , i even set the ca:mg ratio to 3:1 It looks like this (4dGH & 4dKH):

CaSO4.2H2O 

Ca 18.45

S 14.76

dGH 2.58

MgSO4.7H2O 

Mg 6.08

S 8.02

dGH 1.4

K2CO3

K 55.8

CO3 42.82

dKH 4.01

I also got some CaCO3 to play with, and that recipe looks like:

CaCO3

Ca 14.1

CO3 21.12

dGH 1.97

dKH 1.97

CaSO4.2H2O 

Ca 4.1

S 3.28

dGH 0.57

MgSO4.7H2O 

Mg 6.08

S 8.02

dGH 1.4

K2CO3 

K 27.9

CO3 21.41

dKH 2

In-case anyone is interested, I used @Mmiller2001recipe for the second batch of remineralized rodi; it's crystal clear and all parameters are what rotalabutterfly says they should be.

The first batch, with CaCO3, is still cloudy, and the ppm is ~20% lower than what the calculator said it should be.  I bought super fine CaCO3 powder. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did my first water change today, about 20-25%.  My ammonia levels were in the caution range for 3 days before today, according to aco test strips.

Something about my GH isn't adding up.  I added 4dGH water and I keep getting 6dGH readings on my API tube tests; before and after WC.  I have added easy green, easy iron, and enzymes.  I know the easy green adds Mg, but surely not 2dGH?  If so, I may as well not remineralize rodi with Mg!

My hardscape could be leeching into the water, but wouldn't that affect KH, too?  Is there anything else that could be altering GH?