Upgrading tank querie

SC Fish

So im moving the male platys into a new tank (10 gallon into a 20).

i have a couple questions..

i would like to use a heater in the new tank and heat it to around 21 or 22 degrees. Since i know platys can live in this, however my parents have concerns that the fish will suffer as their current tank is around 17 to 18 degrees. (Celcius) . 
Are they right?
also i want to increase the temperature so i can get some more options of fish to put in the tank with them.

could i introduce the platys then increase the water temp 1 degree every few days? See how it goes?
like a very slow acclimation.

please let me know

On 8/31/2022 at 5:52 PM, SC Fish said:

could i introduce the platys then increase the water temp 1 degree every few days? See how it goes?
like a very slow acclimation.

I would do a degree a day and just watch for signs of stress. Can always pause the increases for a couple days if you see any.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 3:27 AM, CT_ said:

It's worth noting that typical heaters with bimetal thermostats can swing the temp by 1-2c every few hours.  Nothing wrong upping the heat really slow but I bet they'd be fine going 1c per hour even. 

On 9/1/2022 at 3:18 AM, lefty o said:

they will be fine. just bump the temp up a little each day for a few days.

On 9/1/2022 at 1:38 AM, Cleveland M said:

I would do a degree a day and just watch for signs of stress. Can always pause the increases for a couple days if you see any.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:59 PM, FLFishChik said:

So, ideally, platys should be kept at 72F-78F (22c-25c). So yes, they should be fine. If they’ve been accustomed to cooler water, you’ll want to slowly acclimate them. 

Thank you all for the help! really appreciate it! 

Just wanted to make sure i had the right idea so i didnt accidentally cause something bad to happen