What shrimp are best

Hard Wood

I have a 29 gallon planted aquarium with lots of hiding spots. Right now I just have a bristlenose pleco and a clown pleco in the tank. It’s well cycled now had it for almost two months with just those two in there. Was wondering if I were to get maybe 5 or 6 shrimp would they all get along with the plecos? Also thinking about getting 5-6 fish for the tank what would be best?

If this is your first time getting shrimp, get cherry shrimp. Easy, pretty, prolific. Cant go wrong with them. Will do well with plecos. For fish, celestial pearl danios are a good choice, chili rasboras are another, green neon are great too, so basically any chill, small schooling fish. Neon tetras would be the cheapest and most widely available, rummynose are great schoolers but a little finicky. I would avoid dartier species like zebra danios and silver tipped tetras.

On 8/28/2022 at 4:16 PM, Hard Wood said:

Yeah I actually don’t want them to breed I’m afraid of it getting out of control

They won't get out of control if you don't feed super heavy, especially in a tank with fish.

Also, shrimp have a fairly short lifespan so i would consider breeding them.

Edited by Scapexghost

On 8/28/2022 at 4:16 PM, Hard Wood said:

Yeah I actually don’t want them to breed I’m afraid of it getting out of control

That isn't likely to become an issue.  Neocaridina shrimp have a small bioload.  I've taken 50 out of a 10 gallon tank to sell without making a noticeable difference in the population.  A 29 gallon tank wouldn't be overstocked with 300 of them.  If you do ever get more than you want it's likely that any locally owned fish/aquarium store will be happy to take them, and may give you money or store credit.

If your water parameters are okay for them I'd recommend getting some.  The link below has some basic information about them that I posted a while ago that you might like to take a look at.

• Like 1