Fancy Goldfish Ich - what temperature is safe for treatment?

DustinJWagner

Good evening!

I am treating four fancy goldfish (2 oranda and 2 Ryukin) for ich. I am using ich X and aquarium salt. I am wondering however if anyone has experience with what sort of temperature increase is safe for fancy goldfish? As temperate water fish I’m concerned about going to the mid 80s during treatment. Has anyone done this with success? I am up to 80 degrees right now but am hesitant to go higher.

Thanks! :)

unless you are going to go all the way up to almost 90f (not good for goldfish imo) temperature only increases how fast the ich runs its course making the treatment faster the medication should be just as effective at lower temperatures and less stressful on the already stressed fish so in my opinion just keep the temperature  as is.

as for what's the max temperature low 80s for fish raised in cold climates imo if there raised in the tropics they more resistant to high temperature it seems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 9:05 PM, DustinJWagner said:

Good evening!

I am treating four fancy goldfish (2 oranda and 2 Ryukin) for ich. I am using ich X and aquarium salt. I am wondering however if anyone has experience with what sort of temperature increase is safe for fancy goldfish? As temperate water fish I’m concerned about going to the mid 80s during treatment. Has anyone done this with success? I am up to 80 degrees right now but am hesitant to go higher.

Thanks! :)

I keep goldfish outside in tubs in new jersey, goldfish really do not have any issue with high temps, they have issues with low oxygen which can happen with warm water since it does not hold oxygen as well as cold water. This summer has been intense and some of my tubs topped out at 95F for days on end without issue. 

these fish were also bred by me in a cold basement, usually never warmer than 70 in the summer and as cold as 43 in the winter. 

for the ich, you can crank the heat but i woulsnt recommend having the heater in there long term. if you just keep the water clean and the salt that should be more than enough to knock them out, usually goldfish can shake off ich very well compared to other fish since their slimecoat is so thick, usually ich appears as a secondary condition with goldfish