Mystery snail eggs

smm333

My mystery snail laid eggs! I have pored over some YouTube videos which are all showing different plans for hatching them. It sounds a bit daunting, and chances for success aren't real high, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I removed them from the tank and they are in a Tupperware with tiny holes in the lid. I got a paper towel wet with tank water and wrung it out so it's just damp. One video said paper towels can get mildew so I don't know if I should take it out, or just change it daily? Anyone have a proven method ? I adore my mystery snails and I'd love to give their babies every opportunity to survive!

16613996186827211564294591248776.jpg

• Love 1

Tupperware works. The best success I ever had personally was when I left them where they were. The tank I was using has a lid on it and a heater in it. This allowed humidity and they hatched naturally. Can be simulated with syran wrap with holes for aeration or different things etc. with regards to Tupperware I use dry paper towels under wet ones and a lid with a hole in it. I haven’t changed the paper towels or had to, I remove the lid once a day to add fresh air. Then float it in a tank, or even outside of a tank it’s worked for me. They aren’t terribly hard to hatch. I’ve been playing around with some alternative ways recently. I’ll post if any of them work. I feel like by now they should sell mystery snail hatching kits lol

Thanks for the reply. I second the hatching kit idea! I admit, I looked at Amazon hoping something existed, lol. Maybe on etsy, but I'm exhausted and just need to sleep. I'll do more research tomorrow now that I know they are safe for the night! 🥰

Edited by smm333
Misspelling

Hey!  First of all congrats!

I use the Tupperware method and even ship clutches in Tupperware and guide the people I send them to in hatching them. It's very easy honestly!  

The one thing I would change is I would put a layer of dry paper towel between the wet and the clutch. Having the clutch on wet runs several risks including as you said mildew. Clutches needs to stay humid but not wet. I would then float the Tupperware in a tank. Check it daily for progress and inspect the lid of the Tupperware for moisture buildup. Wipe it down if there is any so it doesn't drip onto the clutch. 

Clutches usually hatch in 2-4 weeks. They start to look moldy as they get closer. This is the baby snails eating their way out. Once one has emerged on its own it is safe to crumble into a breeder box or tank. You can wait up to 24 hours after one emerges if you prefer. 

Here is a video of me crumbling a clutch:

If you have any more questions feel free!

I was just a first time clutch hatcher myself. Just hatched about 4-5 days ago. It's really very easy. You will actually put more stress on yourself than need be. Yes a dry paper towel on top of the damp. And I added a piece of square sponge filter media between the layers to keep the raised a bit away from the tamp towel. I have a whole journal on it. It's a saga you'll laugh and cry and stay in suspense. The title is TeeJay's first mystery snail clutch hatched! And @Guppysnail and @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Cinnebuns are my hatch mentors. Took mine right around 17 days to hatch.

• Love 2

Yes it really is as simple and damp paper towel good humidity and pop the til off once a day for a breath of fresh air and wipe condensation off inside of the lid. Repeat each day until boom! Snalies. Mine was only half the size of yours so I'm sure you'll have even bigger success rate. Have a tote tub ready.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 10:39 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Hey!  First of all congrats!

I use the Tupperware method and even ship clutches in Tupperware and guide the people I send them to in hatching them. It's very easy honestly!  

The one thing I would change is I would put a layer of dry paper towel between the wet and the clutch. Having the clutch on wet runs several risks including as you said mildew. Clutches needs to stay humid but not wet. I would then float the Tupperware in a tank. Check it daily for progress and inspect the lid of the Tupperware for moisture buildup. Wipe it down if there is any so it doesn't drip onto the clutch. 

Clutches usually hatch in 2-4 weeks. They start to look moldy as they get closer. This is the baby snails eating their way out. Once one has emerged on its own it is safe to crumble into a breeder box or tank. You can wait up to 24 hours after one emerges if you prefer. 

Here is a video of me crumbling a clutch:

If you have any more questions feel free!

Thank you! That's so cool! I added a dry paper towel and placed the tupperware in the tank.  Hopefully babies are in my future! ❤

On 8/25/2022 at 5:05 AM, TeeJay said:

Yes it really is as simple and damp paper towel good humidity and pop the til off once a day for a breath of fresh air and wipe condensation off inside of the lid. Repeat each day until boom! Snalies. Mine was only half the size of yours so I'm sure you'll have even bigger success rate. Have a tote tub ready.

I put the Tupperware in my tank, so hopefully that will give proper humidity.  I'm going to set up a nursery tank this weekend! 🐌

On 8/25/2022 at 3:54 AM, TeeJay said:

I was just a first time clutch hatcher myself. Just hatched about 4-5 days ago. It's really very easy. You will actually put more stress on yourself than need be. Yes a dry paper towel on top of the damp. And I added a piece of square sponge filter media between the layers to keep the raised a bit away from the tamp towel. I have a whole journal on it. It's a saga you'll laugh and cry and stay in suspense. The title is TeeJay's first mystery snail clutch hatched! And @Guppysnail and @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Cinnebuns are my hatch mentors. Took mine right around 17 days to hatch.

I'll definitely check out your journal!

• Like 1