Noobie Shrimp Keeper

Cinnebuns

Before there's any substrate comments, I have sand and am working on adding it. 

New to shrimp. Most of the shrimp in this tank I got less than a month ago and about 3 or 4 of them for over 2 months. I didn't expect a berried female for a few months because I learned they typically won't mate for a few months in a new environment. I have had about 3 females saddled for a few weeks. Today I noticed this. It doesn't look like eggs to me so I can say berried but idk?  She does look to be holding and fanning something.  I'm confused. Insights?

20220822_220829.jpg

On 8/23/2022 at 1:10 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

zoeys just meaning the little shrimp.

Zoe / Zoeys

She's never been berried. At least to my knowledge. I've never seen a berried shrimp in my tank other than one that was berried when I first got her like 3 months ago. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 1:30 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah.  They do it a lot.  It's super normal.  They do it just to clean, prepare. release.

I'm still confused. How can she release babies if she's never been berried?  Or you mean she's preparing to release the eggs out of her ovaries maybe? To become berried?

@nabokovfan87Zoey is mostly used to describe things like Amano shrimp babies that are released prior to being identical to the parents sort of a “larval stage” that are free floating in the water. I’m not a scientist so forgive my less than stellar explanation.. Neocaridina shrimplettes are released as identical copies of the parents that are not free floating and referred to as just shrimplettes. 
My eyes are not good enough to see anything. However if you can still see the saddle she is either not berried or could still be moving eggs. Some things to be aware of are in this article. 2 can be homed in the abdomen where the fertilized eggs would be. Fungus and ellobiopsidae. Pictures and explanations and treatment of the most common shrimp diseases are in this article. Very good to familiarize yourself with them. 
My female shrimp fan all the time eggs or not so there is a very good chance it’s nothing to worry over. Keep us posted and congratulations on your new shrimp adventure 🤗

Forgot to attach article 🤣https://aquariumbreeder.com/understanding-dwarf-shrimp-diseases-and-parasites/

is that a baby panda I see? 🥰🤗

Edited by Guppysnail

On 8/23/2022 at 5:27 AM, Guppysnail said:

is that a baby panda I see? 🥰🤗

Hehe yes it is. They are the original reason I got the shrimp. They make my job with the eggs 10000x easier!  I just made a post in breeding showing my setup for the cories.

I haven't read the article yet as I'm too tired to take it in but ty for the share. I'm def gonna read it later. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 11:32 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Or you mean she's preparing to release the eggs out of her ovaries maybe? To become berried?

Just meaning, they keep that area clean so to speak. It's very common for the females to spend time doing that with their swimmerets.

Hopefully I spelled that right! You can usually equate it to something like corydoras glass surfing. They could be preparing, could just be normal behavior with no motive, or it's for a very specific reason. If you see her berried and that motion, it's probably release day.  It's just exercise for them and very typical behavior.

Trying to find some random video online of shrimp to see it. At 21:43 you see a shrimp pop in from the right and just do the similar behavior. Sometimes it's brief, sometimes longer, etc. Happens again at 44:26

Found another. ~3:20-335 on the sponge. At 4:50 you can see a close up shot of one just hanging out cleaning.

Irene also mentions one reason they do this is to release pheramones.

Edited by nabokovfan87
added vid
  • Thanks 1