Replacing substrate

Cinnebuns

This is a topic I've read others asking about but never done myself. I know the concept is to do it over time like 20% week or so. My question is this:  is it OK to remove 20% a week without adding the new in until the end if the tank is understocked? It kinda isn't working for my brain to have some old in with some new so I think I prefer to add all at once at.the end. It's a 20T with 1 powdered blue gourami and roughly 20 juvenile female guppies that are slowly being rehomed. Thoughts?

I have never done it partially, I literally do a 90% or full tank WC and replace the substrate whenever I change it out.

I remove the hardscape, plants into buckets, then I put the fish into a bucket with air for the time being.

Do what need be with the tank, then add the plants and stuff back, then the fish.

On 8/15/2022 at 4:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have never done it partially, I literally do a 90% or full tank WC and replace the substrate whenever I change it out.

I remove the hardscape, plants into buckets, then I put the fish into a bucket with air for the time being.

Do what need be with the tank, then add the plants and stuff back, then the fish.

Oh so you change it all at once rather than a little at a time?  This is literally what I was wanting to do and thought might work since it's under stocked but I was slightly worried about the bacteria. 

On 8/15/2022 at 2:50 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Oh so you change it all at once rather than a little at a time?  This is literally what I was wanting to do and thought might work since it's under stocked but I was slightly worried about the bacteria. 

My bacteria is in the filter for the most part and I generally run 2 filters on a tank.  If you're concerned about it you can dose liquid bacteria following the change.  I've done it... 5+ times, never had any issues. Never lost a fish from it.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

What are you changing from and to? Just being nosey.

I did a gravel change once don't think it affected my cycle, but I had goldfish at the time so water changes were pretty regular anyway.

To protect your cycle (and I do this before all major tank havoc) I would clean my filter today and let it run without a water change for a good week so it is at max bacteria and won't need cleaning again until at least a week after you change your gravel and the inevitable water change that will involve.

Good luck changing substrate in a full tank isn't fun.

On 8/15/2022 at 5:33 PM, Flumpweesel said:

What are you changing from and to? Just being nosey.

Gravel to better gravel. 

This: 

20220815_174928.jpg.3eec3b8a4ef8d70765262b2dfd72be96.jpg

To this:

20220815_174937.jpg.42c3c84f04e277d24d6c138d72313029.jpg

On 8/15/2022 at 5:33 PM, Flumpweesel said:

To protect your cycle (and I do this before all major tank havoc) I would clean my filter today and let it run without a water change for a good week so it is at max bacteria and won't need cleaning again until at least a week after you change your gravel and the inevitable water change that will involve.

That's a good tip. Although idk if it really needs cleaning tbh. It's an ACO 20 gal sponge and that tank is under stocked so it might be fine. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 6:17 PM, anitstuk said:

Good to see that your changing your gravel. Fruity pebbles isn't usually the best substrate to use XD. 

I have 2 tanks with fruity pebbles right now mainly because of lack of funds and I got them along with tanks I bought on marketplace. Unfortunately I will still be holding onto this gravel as a backup and it might go in a 15 gallon I'm getting tomorrow. Slowly, one project at a time, things improve. That's one thing I like about this hobby though. It's more than a pet, it's a project. There's always something to improve. 

On 8/16/2022 at 9:27 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I have 2 tanks with fruity pebbles right now mainly because of lack of funds and I got them along with tanks I bought on marketplace. Unfortunately I will still be holding onto this gravel as a backup and it might go in a 15 gallon I'm getting tomorrow. Slowly, one project at a time, things improve. That's one thing I like about this hobby though. It's more than a pet, it's a project. There's always something to improve. 

I agree, never throw out or sell aquarium gear unless you are leaving the hobby. They can always be used as backup 🙂 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Ooo nice choice. 

Yep my hint of just really to make the gravel the only change for as long as possible you might want to throw a power filter in for 24 hrs on change day (if you have one knocking about) just to help grab all the mess your going to stir up.

I'm seriously in love with this gravel not gonna lie. Its in my main tank and I couldn't be happier. My LFS stopped carrying it and I was sad. I went to petsmart expecting to have to settle on something similar and was super excited to see they had exactly this!!

• Love 1

On 8/15/2022 at 4:27 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Have you made a random trip to the local garden section for some smooth / small size "garden rocks"?  Something like river rocks or gravel is pretty readily available there and you can get some pretty cool stuff.

On 8/16/2022 at 12:27 AM, Cinnebuns said:

gravel as a backup

Back up gravel is very useful no matter what it looks like.  

I mixed some gravel once then decided I didn't like it pulled it all from the tank then every time I've used some I've sifted it to separate the mix while washing it.

I’m very fickle. I’ve changed so many substrates. I do it all at once because I’m also impatient. Occasionally I get a snpmall nitrite reading. So I just monitor closely and water change as needed though the bumps in nitrite were never large anything over zero for me is a water change. Usually takes 1-4 weeks to settle in though the times it bumped vs no noticeable change are like only 1 in 10.  I do not wipe any glass a week prior and 2 weeks after. There is a fair amount of BB on the glass. 

One trick I found works because I’m also lazy and with my wrist I struggle to net fish. I move all hard scape and plants to one side of the tank. My fish hang out in the dense cover while I remove substrate from one side. Then I shift it all to the other and remove the rest.  I then repeat the process to add the new. 1 time I tried adding the new on one side before I took all of the old out of the the other side 😝. Caused more work than it saved for me. I always follow with a water change to remove the stress hormones and their favorite food.  My kids go right back to normal. 

If you are netting fish and temp relocating and pulling decor and plants out to do this make certain they don’t dry as that will kill BB bacteria. There is a lot of surface area on decor and plants. Bb grows anywhere there is a place to attach. Filter less tanks remain stable solely on the amount of BB inside the tank. Protecting that you will be fine with the loss of BB on the gravel. 🤗

I can’t wait to see the new do. The gold pearl is beautiful.  Very awesome choice 😍

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2022 at 2:30 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Have you made a random trip to the local garden section for some smooth / small size "garden rocks"?  Something like river rocks or gravel is pretty readily available there and you can get some pretty cool stuff.

I always forget that's an option. Good call! I might not be able to get out to check soon because this injury is looking to be worse.than I originally thought but I'll keep that in mind!

• Like 1