Best fish to breed in a 10 gallon

31LJ95

There are a ton of options. What kind of fish are you interested in? 
-Endlers would be something that’s easy and small enough to not quickly overwhelm the tank. 
-Small Corydoras would be fun. 

-If you can live without plants then shell dwelling cichlids would be awesome. 

Edited by Patrick_G

I want something a bit challenging maybe endless if it’s an expensive pair or something but some small corys would be a good idea any suggestions? I am also thinking of Having shrimp in my soon to be 10 gallon betta tank which I know he will eat a few but he is not the most aggressive so thinking a few will survive.

• Like 1

I'm assuming you mean both the adults and the fry in the 10 gal and not a growout situation right?

I wanna throw killifish into the mix. I haven't done it myself but I've seriously considered it and researched it on and off a bunch. I know some specific species are easier than others and I csnt exactly advise you there but it's maybe something to look into. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:39 PM, 31LJ95 said:

Yes grow out and parents. Never thought of those don’t they only live for a year though? Maybe could hatch some eggs seen some people do that. Thanks for the suggestions

Yes some do but not all. Also, juveniles will eat fry but not adults so you get a generation gap somrtimes. I'm pretty sure the 2 species I was considering both of these were true for. They were garderii and clown. 

You could colony breed clown killifish in there. They're also pretty popular at the moment, so odds are good that you'd have no problem selling the excess fry that you raise.

There are tons of wild type livebearers that are pretty rare or uncommon that would do well in a 10 if you want something truly different.

I have bred clown killies in a 10 gallon. Fairly easy to do as long as there is a lot of plant cover. Species only tank with a lot of moss and floating plants.

I currently have an alien betta with clown killies in a 20 long with no issues. A betta would likely eat any fry.