Should QT tanks be cycled?

Lexi B

I've always had a back up cycled tank for QT, but after the move I haven't space for an extra 10g. Would it be okay if I simply ran a QT without a cycle? My fiance lost a few of his chili rasbora after our move, and we're hoping to fill out his little swarm sooner than later. He only has 3 left

On 8/8/2022 at 2:49 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Yes is the best option. If no, then be prepared to do ongoing water changes. 

Alright! That's what I figured. I just recently saw a handful of people who preferred to go uncycled and wondered if I was tackling it wrong 

I use clean totes. I keep cycled sponges in tanks as well as extra plants and extra pothos vines and lucky bamboo. I also keep extra rocks and wood hidden in tanks. This allows me to set up a quick stable qt but no need to keep it running. When I pull the sponges from an existing tank I replace with other so it’s rotated and available. 
If something serious pops up in qt I have no problem nuking and sterilization of everything and no need to start over keeping an empty qt running. Many meds affect plants also. Here is mine. And Irene’s video on her qts.  This is easier for me and does not take up space when in use.  I would not use an uncycled tank without cycled media, filters, plants etc  new fish are seriously stressed adding fluctuating parameters alone could push them to far  hope that helps  52BDB425-F3B8-4395-943F-F7330303104B.jpeg.64856c6ba19518d5349ad960c1a9410f.jpeg