Planted aquarium substrate - suggestions

I have an established (over 10 years) 55 gallon tank with some live plants and fish that currently has about 2 inches of gravel.  The plants are doing OK but not great as I am still learning more of the basics of taking care of plants in an aquarium.  I added the plants in the last year.  I have started adding Easy Green weekly, checking my water and keeping a log, added a Fluval 3.0 light and figured improving the substrate would be the next piece to address. I bought some Fluval Stratum (2 x 8lb bags) to add to the existing gravel to help improve the substrate for the plants as well as hopefully help reduce the water pH from 8.1 down a little into the 6's or 7's as I think this will help the plants as well.  The question is how best to add the new substrate to have the least negative impact upon the fish in the aquarium?  Should I just put a little in at a time on top of the gravel or remove the gravel from part of the aquarium and then mix or layer the substrates back one section at a time or is there abetter way of doing this process.  By the way, current water parameters are pH 8.0, KH around 290 ppm, GH around 25 ppm, nitrates around 20-25 ppm.  I keep the water temperature around 77-79 degrees F.  I am on a well with an all house carbon filter and water softener as hardness is 625 ppm ( 35-40 grain) before softener.  Post softener is pH 7.5, KH 304 ppm, GH <17ppm, and 0 nitrates.

On 8/8/2022 at 2:03 PM, Jim Fox said:

I have an established (over 10 years) 55 gallon tank with some live plants and fish that currently has about 2 inches of gravel.  The plants are doing OK but not great as I am still learning more of the basics of taking care of plants in an aquarium.  I added the plants in the last year.  I have started adding Easy Green weekly, checking my water and keeping a log, added a Fluval 3.0 light and figured improving the substrate would be the next piece to address. I bought some Fluval Stratum (2 x 8lb bags) to add to the existing gravel to help improve the substrate for the plants as well as hopefully help reduce the water pH from 8.1 down a little into the 6's or 7's as I think this will help the plants as well.  The question is how best to add the new substrate to have the least negative impact upon the fish in the aquarium?  Should I just put a little in at a time on top of the gravel or remove the gravel from part of the aquarium and then mix or layer the substrates back one section at a time or is there abetter way of doing this process.  By the way, current water parameters are pH 8.0, KH around 290 ppm, GH around 25 ppm, nitrates around 20-25 ppm.  I keep the water temperature around 77-79 degrees F.  I am on a well with an all house carbon filter and water softener as hardness is 625 ppm ( 35-40 grain) before softener.  Post softener is pH 7.5, KH 304 ppm, GH <17ppm, and 0 nitrates.

Hi @Jim Fox

I've kept aquariums since the 60's but just got into planted tanks 15 years ago.  To be truthful a nice planted tank can be had with almost any substrate except crushed coral.  I've grown healthy plants with natural gravel (Monterrey Sand), ADA Aquasoil Amazona, various calcined clay materials, and pool filter sand - when it comes to substrate what really matters is light and nutrients (including available carbon).  If it were me I would save the money that I was thinking of spending on substrate and use it toward a CO2 tank, regulator, and post body kit.  -Roy

Natural gravel (Monterrey Sand) 2008
2071631271_2008-05-2845GallonHomeShow5.jpg.bbc5100cea0c4d05527518a10f6bebc6.jpg

Calcined Clay (Safe-t-srob) (2019)866170225_2019-03-3130GallonOldSkool01CroppedAdjSnSm.JPG.a602bf3e92ce3c61afd1e64678bdd429.JPG

HTH Pool Filter Sand (2022)
1831173357_2022-01-2130GallonDiscus(1)CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.8553fba496e2b080a3c3e01548907b9d.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts Roy.  I have thought about CO2 but not ready to go there yet.  SInce I have purchased the Fluval Stratem I would like to use it but just want to avoid hurting the fish as I introduce it to the aquarium.

• Like 1

I have about a 2" layer of eco complete but have thought about adding Stratem. If it were me I'd add it like I would a root tab, sinking small piles near a plants roots (not exactly under) In an effort to keep the Stratem from leaching nutrients into the water column. 

That is sort of the conclusion that I have come to as well.  No reason to upset the entire aquarium, just start adding some in specific spots and see what happens.  Thanks for the suggestions both from yourself and all the others.

@Jim Fox,

I have a heavily planted tank that has been running with a Fluval Stratum substrate for 4 years. I had to move it 4 months ago, and as a result needed to add a new layer of Stratum to this established tank without uprooting the crypt/Eleocharis carpet. I carefully siphoned out as much of the stirred-up mulm layer as possible, then poured the new Stratum on top, cup by cup, with the water in the tank, disturbing the old substrate as little as possible. The crypts died back from being moved, but they are now starting to re-grow, as you see. It was a mess, but the roots lived at least. I don’t see why you couldn’t pour a layer of Fluval Stratum right on top of your existing gravel, if you don’t mind a slightly deeper substrate. Certainly, your plants will love it. 

Also, Jim, I saw that you keep your tank at 79 degrees, but I didn’t see where you said what fish you are keeping. If they are discus, or German blue rams, or something else that really requires heat, then you have to run hot. But if you have regular community fish, they and your plants will do very well at 73 or 74. In my experience, plants prefer it cooler, and most community tank  fish also live longer in cooler water. Just a thought for you. 
D3808408-3A7F-44B1-9A3E-16664F9185C1.jpeg.5e188ab3c447ba0dc981b5dd466787e6.jpeg

Edited by Rebecca M
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Rebecca, thank for your thoughts and I really appreciate the recommendations.  I ended up doing what you suggested which is to put a cup of new substrate in a cup at a time around the areas where the plants are located.  I do a little at a time so any "dust" kicked up with the new substrate is limited and once things settle down I add a little more the next day.  I am also starting to use root tabs for the stem plants.  As for the temperature, I average about 77 degrees whith the high hitting 78+ during the late day and things cooling down overnight.  I will reset the temperature back down to 74 degrees which is where I used to keep it until I read that the plants preferred the warmer temperature.  I have a tank of tetras along with a bristlenose. I always appreciate the thoughts of more experienced aquarium lovers.

• Like 2