First water change in shrimp tank.

TeeJay

My last one was a bit of an emergency let's cool this down. I just scooped out about 20 % and topped up pouring the water through the filter.

Normal I'm just topping off that tank so then it's only about 5% that changes. My tap to tank is pretty similar though so maybe look at how different the new water will be and if it's very different do the smallest change you can.

• Thanks 1

For relatively new shrimp keepers I recommend not over 15%, but if you temperature match, and do water changes fairly frequently so that new water isn't too much different than the tank water, you can do considerably larger ones.  I usually do 25%.

On 8/8/2022 at 12:08 PM, RonBFree said:

10-15% is good.  Use RO water if u can

Why?  I'm not arguing with you, but if you do use RO water you need to re-mineralize it to levels suitable for your specific shrimp species.

• Thanks 1

I've done weekly, or every 2 week, 30% to 50% water changes and have not had issues. That said my shrimp colony is well established and has been up and going for over 2 years. Prior to being in their own species specific tank they were in with fish that didn't predate on them. My tanks are all heavily planted. I also use tap water with Prime and very low doses of Easy Green.

• Thanks 1

Yes I have only had the shrimp themselves for 2 weeks but I had the tank set up for over 2 months before I added them. I keep my nitrates 10-20. I don't think I will need to do more than 10-15 at a time for right now.

• Like 1