Mystery snails

TeeJay

I can't tell what my snails are doing. They have never done this before so I'm not sure if this is cause for concern. Like there gasping for air. They went back to the bottom of the tank. But one came back up to the water line and is doing the same thing again. And when it does that it shakes a bit while at the top of the tank. Test my water I have no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates are at 10. This tank only has snails and 15 cherry shrimp that I added about 48 hours ago.

IMG_20220726_194104790_MP.jpg

IMG_20220726_193841472.jpg

IMG_20220726_194153084.jpg

IMG_20220726_194158566.jpg

IMG_20220726_195153068.jpg

Edited by TeeJay

On 7/26/2022 at 6:42 PM, TeeJay said:

Like there gasping for air.

I don't believe they'd try for air with their mouth. If it was an oxygen issue they should have their little tube up on the left side of their face. (Right as you look at them from the bottom.)

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2022 at 8:19 PM, Katherine said:

I don't believe they'd try for air with their mouth. If it was an oxygen issue they should have their little tube up on the left side of their face. (Right as you look at them from the bottom.)

I've just never seen any of my mysteries do that before. I mean it could be nothing. But you know how it goes. The first time you see them do something different you automatically assume it's something bad.

• Like 1

Could be the disruption of the substrate. Once things settle they will be about their normal business again. But also my mysteries often go up to the water line because they like a little bit of air. Mystery snails have gills and a lung.  They live mostly underwater, but in times of drought in the wild, they will go into the mud and they will switch to using their lung. This is also why they can be shipped in damp paper towel instead of in water. Fun facts! 

Another explanation could be that there is a film on the top of your water that they like. Sometimes the film is clear and you can’t really notice it. Some of my little ones were traveling upside down on the surface of the water! It was weird! I call it moonwalking.

Mystery snails will also will start going toward the top if they are considering egg laying. 

That was my first thought was eggs laying. But then that didn't make sense because the both did it at the same time. And if they both are female that would mean they would have been fertile when I got them from the  pet store almost 2 months ago. I mean it could happen but I figured that would be a pretty slim chance. I did add a smidge of bacter ae to the tank tonight so maybe they were eating that off the surface. It was just the weird way they were contorting there body's had me freaked lol

On 7/26/2022 at 9:28 PM, TeeJay said:

That was my first thought was eggs laying. But then that didn't make sense because the both did it at the same time. And if they both are female that would mean they would have been fertile when I got them from the  pet store almost 2 months ago. I mean it could happen but I figured that would be a pretty slim chance. I did add a smidge of bacter ae to the tank tonight so maybe they were eating that off the surface. It was just the weird way they were contorting there body's had me freaked lol

Mystery snails hold onto fertilized eggs for months. If you’ve been on my egg journal, you saw I hatched some snails. Well, I only ever had one mystery snail. It has laid eggs 11 times since I got her in March! At least 2 of those clutches were fertile and produced babies. The other ones I froze because I don’t have more tanks for them.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 7/26/2022 at 9:31 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Mystery snails hold onto fertilized eggs for months. If you’ve been on my egg journal, you saw I hatched some snails. Well, I only ever had one mystery snail. It has laid eggs 11 times since I got her in March! At least 2 of those clutches were fertile and produced babies. The other ones I froze because I don’t have more tanks for them.

That is true. I mean I'll never say never. I'll seep a look out for clutches just in case. The seem to be back to there regular selves. I just put a carrot in for them tonight to see how they do with it. They liked the green bean when I tried that. So I'll see if any it gone in the morning for regular check ins.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 9:51 PM, TeeJay said:

Well look at that! Lol. Yes is a fine powder you can add to the water to help the biofilm grow for the shrimps and such to snack on.

They think you just fed them the good stuff. Believe it or not, snails have an awesome sense of smell. Mine will race across the tank when I drop food in the tank, especially Snello.

• Love 1

Mystery snails can change sex. So if you had two females it’s possible you don’t any more. They are not hermaphrodites, but they are Sequential hermaphroditism.  Wrasses and I believe clown fish can do this along with some shrimp and other gastropods. I believe it is a mating and at least an attempt at looking for a good place for eggs