Alge and plant nutrients

TeeJay

Ok everyone trying to figure out what nutrient my plants in this tank are lacking and which hair alge I'm dealing with. I dose easy green once a week 1ml and 2ml potassium for my Java ferns. Root tabs once a month from r the sword. All 3 pics are the same 10 gal tank. And just realized I posted in wrong section doh lol

IMG_20220724_175250912.jpg

IMG_20220724_175308811.jpg

IMG_20220724_175620736.jpg

Edited by TeeJay

It may be an issue with iron or lighting. That also looks like staghorn algae to me (in the 1st pic at least). I’m currently dealing with some of my own. I spot treat with seachem excel daily and it kills it within a couple of days. Be sure to follow instructions on the bottle though because it’s important not to overdose. My issue was too much iron. I increased it and I noticed it really started growing within as little as a week 

On 7/24/2022 at 10:35 PM, Zac said:

It may be an issue with iron or lighting. That also looks like staghorn algae to me (in the 1st pic at least). I’m currently dealing with some of my own. I spot treat with seachem excel daily and it kills it within a couple of days. Be sure to follow instructions on the bottle though because it’s important not to overdose. My issue was too much iron. I increased it and I noticed it really started growing within as little as a week 

I have some 3 rounds of excel. Per bottle instructions so far. Have not seen a difference. Yet not sure on how late mg it usually takes for it to affect the alge.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Do you only see it on the output section of the HoB area?  Looks like a Tidal 35.

No it's on my red flame sword and my jave fern as well

On 7/24/2022 at 9:11 PM, TeeJay said:

No it's on my red flame sword and my jave fern as well

slow plants and plants in flow seem to love this algae.  It's the one that took hold on my tank pretty severely.   The backside of the hardscape I have that is opposite of the HoB output in my tank is where it usually shows up and then on stuff like anubias and new growth and such.  Keep an eye out as best you can on new growth and try to remove it manually as much as humanly possible.  Lean dosing, keep an eye on lighting.

The reason why I mention the tidal is just because once that algae hits the water column, it's really easy for it to just flow everywhere with the bypass on the tidals.  Just keep an eye out, especially after water change you might see it free floating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1