What floater to get?

dan12boy

I want floaters for my clown killis since I know they love that and I just moved my lily to my other tank so the only things on the surface for cover are my Val’s leaves. I don’t know what floaters to get though. I was thinking frog bit since they seem big enough to not get pushed into the water column by my hob filter. But I know their roots get really long and don’t know if it’ll be too long for my 20 tall. So either duckweed, frogbit, salvinia or maybe red root floaters even though I don’t have a high light type of light. 

On 7/21/2022 at 3:01 PM, Guppysnail said:

With hobs I never had luck with frogbit, duckweed, red root floaters. Even sectioned off. Salvinia minima on the other hand has grown like crazy for me.  I sectioned it off until it settled in. Now I don’t even bother. It grows like mad. 

What did the hobs do to those plants that it doesn’t do to the salvinia? 

On 7/21/2022 at 3:05 PM, Pepere said:

I bought water lettuce.  I like the look of them.  I am not fond of the roots though.  Not only are they quite long, they break off frequently and sink to the bottom and I end up fishing them out.

as a free bonus I also got duckweed.  I hate duckweed.  I just worked through cleaning it out of my third tank.  If you get duckweed in one tank, sure as heck it will find its way into others….  Being quite diligent inspecting daily for any missed pieces…

i also bought red root floater after deciding I am not so enamored with water lettuce, and it is expanding nicely….

I am having most of the floating cover be red root floater with a few water lettuce heads to offset things.

the Dwarf Gourami and Golden Top Minnow absolutely love having the cover.

coralling it over my Java Fern does wonders for suppressing hair algae too.

Do you have a good light for the red root floaters or do you dose some ferts? I tried red root floaters in the past but they didn’t work out for me especially since I had a very cheap led light that came with the tank.

On 7/21/2022 at 3:10 PM, Pepere said:

I had that same experience with the water level high enough that the outlet of the hob shot the water across the top of the tank.

lowering water level so it dropped into the tank allowed it to thrive.

I have a finnex planted plus and I do dose with simple green.

For me the key to growing them was dropping water level.  They dont like being rushed around the tank.

A Finnex Stingray grows them very nicely too.

I thought it’d be the other way around, doesn’t dropping it make the water coming out push the plants under the water and creating a mess? 

On 7/21/2022 at 3:10 PM, Pepere said:

I have a finnex planted plus and I do dose with simple green.

Do you mean easy green

On 7/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, Pepere said:

I have a small coral around the hob outlet.  

Water level with the outlet causes a flow across the top of the tank and then at right angles when it hits the front.

Sorry but what’s a coral? 

On 7/21/2022 at 3:37 PM, Pepere said:

An incorrect spelling.  It should have been corral.

a length of air line tubing anchored to suction cups on aquarium back to keep a clear space around where the water is falling.  It keeps the floating plants away.

Oh I’ve seen that in Irene’s video before that’s really smart. Okay I think I’m going to give frogbit and the red root floaters a shot at the same time and see if any work for me. I’ll definitely create a corral and make sure the water level lets the hob drop a bit. Thank you for the advice!! Sadly lost a clown killi yesterday when doing a big change in the tank. Have no idea where it is but can guess it jumped out as I was taking out plants. 

On 7/21/2022 at 5:30 PM, CrashBandit05 said:

What about water spangles? I got a bunch from Amazon for my 9 gal and they have multiplied so fast that I have to throw 25% away every maintenance day. The roots don't get very long IMO like Amazon frogbit (which look great in my 29gal!).

That’s salvinia minima! Didn’t know they went by that name. Do you dose anything in that tank?