Co-Op Test Strips vs API Kit (Nitrate)

Zac

Hey all,

I’m trying to determine my nitrate levels but I’ve gotten two different results with the API kit and the Co-Op strips. Attached are images of the tests.

-The API kit seems to be a very deep orange but just barely orange enough to not be red. I’d say it’s reading about 40 but it’s hard to tell so it may be higher.

-The strips seem to be reading 25-30.

I want to keep my tank around 40 because of plants so I’m trying to determine the levels. I’ve always struggled reading these kits lol

F91CCB7D-FDBF-4254-9A46-698F0D485B1F.jpeg

567E724C-E7EE-4DA1-B6FF-1BC85881B574.jpeg

To me it looks to both be reading in the 25 range. For me api anything over 20 turned the 40 color to my eyes. I tested coop strips against api reagent, seachem reagent, Hanna digital checkers for 7 days straight in 7 tanks. For me in my water they are spot on. 

edit api says check in natural light. In ambient not direct sun it looks lighter than with indoor lighting options. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 1:46 PM, Guppysnail said:

To me it looks to both be reading in the 25 range. For me api anything over 20 turned the 40 color to my eyes. I tested coop strips against api reagent, seachem reagent, Hanna digital checkers for 7 days straight in 7 tanks. For me in my water they are spot on. 

edit api says check in natural light. In ambient not direct sun it looks lighter than with indoor lighting options. 

Interesting! I’m thinking of sticking with the strips because it seems to be easier than API

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It’s more about consistency than anything. Knowing what your tank runs normally so you can see if something is not right. After enough years of shaking tubes I’m surprised my arm did not fall off I will not go back to liquid. I love coop strips.  I still have liquid in case I want to verify if I suspect something is off but 1 minute to run all tests.  I can walk both rooms and be back in Time to walk and read both. Then a few minutes to run ammonia strips vs 9 tanks at forever a piece liquid I won’t go back. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

I use ACO strips.

i use to use  the API test i hate the APi  nitrates liquid test stop using it period i did not mind shaking the bottles ,, but i bought test  3 times and all stays blood red  no matter what how much i shock it  and the expire date was good ..  

Because of the Api liquid problems i tried 3 other brand kits and plus  the ACO strips and  all the other brands test readings  came the same number range as the ACO strips 

so i use the ACO strips full time now  and if i have a problem i use the other brands to test against the strips 

• Like 1