Snail question!

KentFishFanUK

I have a big pink ramshorn snail colony in my jungle tank, recently a bunch seem to have died off and the rest seem to be getting white patches on their shells - my water tested 7.2 pH so I don't think it's erosion from acid, and the GH is 7°dH so it shouldn't be a calcium issue should it? Or could my general hardness be made of magnesium etc but still be calcium deficient? Or do snails need calcium rich foods even if there's calcium in the water? 

Anyone have any advice? 

@Guppysnail (sorry)

Definitely need calcium/magnesium food. What’s in the water keeps the shells looking good. What’s in the food helps them build shells and produce egg. Zoomed nano spirulina blocks from ACO or Amazon are the right ca/mg mix. Veggies are good for ther vitamins. If they are dying off slowly they are not getting enough/correct food. Whatever dissolves from the nano blocks helps get the right mix in your water. I hope that helps. Alternative is wondershell. Cuttle bone is good also. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 5:12 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Or could my general hardness be made of magnesium etc but still be calcium deficient?

Yes.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:12 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Or do snails need calcium rich foods even if there's calcium in the water?

Also yes.

That's the quick answers. I think the calcium in the water is related to not eroding old shell growth and calcium in the diet is related to making strong new growth. Is it old or new growth showing issues?

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 11:17 PM, Katherine said:

Yes.

Also yes.

That's the quick answers. I think the calcium in the water is related to not eroding old shell growth and calcium in the diet is related to making strong new growth. Is it old or new growth showing issues?

Old growth I'm pretty sure

On 7/20/2022 at 11:17 PM, Guppysnail said:

Definitely need calcium/magnesium food. What’s in the water keeps the shells looking good. What’s in the food helps them build shells and produce egg. Zoomed nano spirulina blocks from ACO or Amazon are the right ca/mg mix. Veggies are good for ther vitamins. If they are dying off slowly they are not getting enough/correct food. Whatever dissolves from the nano blocks helps get the right mix in your water. I hope that helps. Alternative is wondershell. Cuttle bone is good also. 

Thanks! Do you know the best way to add some calcium without increasing hardness too much? i.e. adding only calcium and not magnesium or something or is it more complicated than that?

On 7/20/2022 at 7:34 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Thanks! Do you know the best way to add some calcium without increasing hardness too much? i.e. adding only calcium and not magnesium or something or is it more complicated than that?

I like the spirulina nano blocks for this reason. I have high gh/kh and ph. They eat the nano blocks before they dissolve and affect my water. It’s better to give them food with these in. Again the water content only affects the exterior of the shell. Food content gives good health and the ability to build strong shells. They deplete cal/mag to make and lay their eggs. They cannot replenish from just the water cal/mag. 

E07C95F9-B59B-4639-B773-14B20C074D59.jpeg

Also I don’t mess with my water so I’m not the right one to advise on that. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1