Filter for a 20 long tank

MJo

Hi all,

Just picked up a 20 long to upgrade our crown tail betta and his Chinese algae eater buddy. Laurel the CAE has a degree in engineering and excavating. Kicks it up in the process. Need a good filter to clean up after him. He gets the plants dirty, too!

Question: is the aqua clear 50 (which is rated for 20-50 gallons) too strong for the betta? I haven’t had aqua clear before, so I’m looking for your experience with them, pls. I’m looking for as much filtration as possible without crazy water. I feel like the 30 (rated 10-30gal) would be barely there? I appreciate any advice. Oh, I am running a sponge filter with air stone also. (But I don’t count that)

An Aqua clear 50 will most likely through your betta all over the tank. That’s a ton of power for the average betta. Short of that betta being a female plakat (and even then, bettas aren’t the strongest swimmers). Honestly, a decent sponge filter should be plenty of filtration for 2 fish in a 20 gallon.

If you want something to keep your water clear and the sponge filter isn’t cutting it, then you may be more interested in “scrubbing” your water. Maybe stock poly fill in a very small aquaclear. Or run a fine sponge and a coarse sponge. 
But bettas can’t take much as far as flow. 

Just a note...

One of the bigger issues with any of the ACs is that the adjustment on your flow isn't really any decent.  For a 20L I would suggest the tidal 35.  This filter does require a few tweaks to the setup, nothing too difficult.  I would suggest checking here and performing the "phase 1" modification that I did.  the nice thing about the tidal 35 is that you can finely adjust the flow.  the issue with the tidal 35 is that you don't really have an intake tube.

Second option would be something else that offers a good fine-tune adjustment.  In terms of those filters the only one that comes to mind is the newer marinelands, this is the penguin pro series.

image.png.897442719523f60d4a9a93dcf12a4560.png

No experience with that particular filter, but for my hob I had to make a flow diffuser, since it was too much for my betta even with flow turned down all the way. I also went to some pretty crazy lengths to avoid sand getting sucked into the intake.

I'd recommend getting two sponge filters, one on each end. It's just way easier and less maintenance.

An Aquaclear 50 should be fine in a 20 gallon long if you don't have a ton of extra air going in to your air stone.  However, if you don't really have any other tank mates a 30 should be enough filter for them. 

I want to thank everyone for your replies and help. I ordered a 30 aqua clear so I don’t blast my betta, lol. And, you know what? If I need to, I can get a 50 later if I like it in general; they’re not terribly expensive. This tank is just dirtier than my others! All that excavating, lol. I actually think my eco substrate is getting a bit powdered by the CAE. Next I am going to check alternate substrates for that reason. Something plants will like, tho.

• Like 1