Apistos and angels

You can but it will be difficult to breed the apisto if that is your intention. Also a 40B is not tall enough for an adult male angelfish. Last but least I would question if a 40 is large enough for both bounded pair of apisto and angels - esp if the angels pair up. So there are some problems with your tank. I would replace the 40B with a 50 or 65 (which are the same width/length but taller than the 40) and put the apisto in a 20 long. Also the water will need to have very low tds/ec if you want to breed the apisto. In general apisto from the nijsseni group can be a bit territorial (aggressive) when a pair forms. 

Thanks for your input, I have a few questions tho I watched deans fish room video about angelfish and said you can do 3 angels in a 29, I’m 11 gallons bigger and longer, it is heavily planted, and 40 is the max size I can goin my apartment my intent was never to breed anything if it happens it happens, I wanted to make a South American tank, so was dean wrong? 

Edited by Stephen Zawacki

On 7/12/2022 at 11:53 AM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Thanks for your input, I have a few questions tho I watched deans fish room video about angelfish and said you can do 3 angels in a 29, I’m 11 gallons bigger and longer, it is heavily planted, and 40 is the max size I can goin my apartment my intent was never to breed anything if it happens it happens, I wanted to make a South American tank, so was dean wrong? 

The issue with the 40 gal is not volume, the issue is height of the tank. Angels get very big vertical size with high dorsal fins and fins that grow long under their body. 

29 gals are tall tanks. Hope this helps