Sicce shark filter help

JessLynne7

I purchased a Sicce shark adv 800.  I should have just waited on the pro because I regret this purchase. The Venturi system is so loud and I need and want to use it to control flow and make air. Any dyi fixes? Nothing out there on the Internet except for reviews and praises. Other than that I love the filter.

I didn't get on with Venturi options so I didn't play with it much sorry.

Have you tried getting it running silently(takes a few shakes and burps to get the air out) then adding the straw to draw the air in. I did try a longer bit of air line for while but it was more faff than I needed.

I used a small prefilter sponge in the out let to dissipate the flow. Its my back up filter so it's not in constant use but I do like it used it when I took my canister filter off line for a while

On 7/11/2022 at 1:53 AM, JessLynne7 said:

The Venturi system is so loud and I need and want to use it to control flow and make air.

I had a really hard time actually adjusting the flow and the air. That alone was enough for me to not want to use it. I had other issues, I totally feel your pain on having struggles with it.

Beyond that, trying to help and remember how I solved the issues, I think one of the main things is to make sure you are using the little outlet piece. It quiets it down a lot. The venturi itself is just an adjustment but the issue I had was the actual output itself being pretty noisy.

If you're hearing it too much I'd recommend just turning off the venturi and adding an airstone instead.

On 7/11/2022 at 5:35 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I didn't get on with Venturi options so I didn't play with it much sorry.

Have you tried getting it running silently(takes a few shakes and burps to get the air out) then adding the straw to draw the air in. I did try a longer bit of air line for while but it was more faff than I needed.

I used a small prefilter sponge in the out let to dissipate the flow. Its my back up filter so it's not in constant use but I do like it used it when I took my canister filter off line for a while

I have plug the air line to try and get any air burps out but maybe need to try for a little longer. I use the airline it came with. I tried a the longer normal piece and cut one I’m half and still loud!

great idea on the baffle on outlet maybe I can try that

On 7/11/2022 at 5:41 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I had a really hard time actually adjusting the flow and the air. That alone was enough for me to not want to use it. I had other issues, I totally feel your pain on having struggles with it.

Beyond that, trying to help and remember how I solved the issues, I think one of the main things is to make sure you are using the little outlet piece. It quiets it down a lot. The venturi itself is just an adjustment but the issue I had was the actual output itself being pretty noisy.

If you're hearing it too much I'd recommend just turning off the venturi and adding an airstone instead.

It’s a pain that’s for sure. The flow is a little strong when I turn off the Venturi that was my main reason for keeping it on. And the air bubbles was a nice bonus 

On 7/11/2022 at 6:32 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I found that just tipping or shaking underwater got the air out best (without the pipe on) ran silent after but it holds a shocking amount of air.

Not to sound dumb but completely under water!? Or leave the hole where Venturi is above water!?

On 7/11/2022 at 8:28 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Completely underwater, that rattle is an air bubble once it's out it's silent.

And don't worry some things are easy to explain in conversation but become odd when typed

Ok cool I was scared to get that hole under water that it would float the pump or something 

I will give it a try

On 7/11/2022 at 2:54 AM, JessLynne7 said:

I have plug the air line to try and get any air burps out but maybe need to try for a little longer. I use the airline it came with. I tried a the longer normal piece and cut one I’m half and still loud!

I just removed it.  Try removing the airline alltogether and see if that fixes it.

On 7/11/2022 at 11:46 AM, JessLynne7 said:

i got two ideas to try so I do t throw the damn thing away and what’s my money lol

awesome, best of luck with it.  Hopefully you get it sorted out.  I literally couldn't even tell you where mine went.  Might've gotten lost in the move 😞

It's definitely useful, especially for something like a QT tub just have on hand.

On 7/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

awesome, best of luck with it.  Hopefully you get it sorted out.  I literally couldn't even tell you where mine went.  Might've gotten lost in the move 😞

It's definitely useful, especially for something like a QT tub just have on hand.

I will let you know how it goes.

I like the filter style and set up if it will just shut the heck up a bit hahaha

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 3:11 PM, JessLynne7 said:

I will let you know how it goes.

I like the filter style and set up if it will just shut the heck up a bit hahaha

Maybe I just Susan’s out but I put it under water and you heard the air come out! Tried with and without the hose and still loud.

I ended up turning the Venturi off and allowing it to be a waterfall so it doesn’t push too match water for my fish. It’s quieter but not what I wanted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 7/11/2022 at 6:02 PM, JessLynne7 said:

Tried with and without the hose and still loud.

I would check the impeller and just verify it's installed right. Could've had a weird issue from shipping or something getting in there. Mine was literally silent and yours should be too. If you hear it grinding or anything like that it's likely something rubbing where it shouldn't be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIj5bBPzpyY

On 7/12/2022 at 3:10 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I kept mine well submerged I felt that if the venturi hole was above the surface it needed the air shaking out of it more often.

Sometimes took a couple of goes to clear. Keep messing I really liked it once I'd got figured out.

That’s a good point I didn’t keep it submerged for long just for a minute to work out the air

On 7/11/2022 at 10:25 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would check the impeller and just verify it's installed right. Could've had a weird issue from shipping or something getting in there. Mine was literally silent and yours should be too. If you hear it grinding or anything like that it's likely something rubbing where it shouldn't be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIj5bBPzpyY

That’s also a good point to check 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 4:53 AM, JessLynne7 said:

I purchased a Sicce shark adv 800.  I should have just waited on the pro because I regret this purchase. The Venturi system is so loud and I need and want to use it to control flow and make air. Any dyi fixes? Nothing out there on the Internet except for reviews and praises. Other than that I love the filter.

The volume of air can be controlled by adding a valve to the intake tube.  There are small plastic ones available or just use a gang valve and a longer tube.   Intake noise can be controlled by inserting a thin strip of filter foam or cloth into the intake.  This will also moderate flow, depending on how much is used.

It just occurred to me that inserting the above water portion of the tube into a piece of filter foam might also work.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:39 AM, Tanked said:

The volume of air can be controlled by adding a valve to the intake tube.  There are small plastic ones available or just use a gang valve and a longer tube.   Intake noise can be controlled by inserting a thin strip of filter foam or cloth into the intake.  This will also moderate flow, depending on how much is used.

It just occurred to me that inserting the above water portion of the tube into a piece of filter foam might also work.

Omg it’s like you read my mind.

I was playing around with this and stuck a piece of kabob stick in there! Flow gets in the tube for air but it’s so much mor quiet now. Not silent but 95% improvement

image.jpg

• Love 1