Otocinclus Schooling

Philip

I've kept Otocinclus for decades and they have alway hung out together and generally moved around as a group, but lately I have about 7 of them that are acting like I've never seen. It might not be exactly schooling behavior, more shoaling, but they keep in a very tight group and move everywhere very quickly and in tight group. Up and down the entire height of the tank and back and forth across the whole tank. It's kind of cool. 

They used to be content to hang out in a spot for hours but now they are all full of energy. Nothing has changed, they are all happy and healthy. Big fat bellies. I suppose it should be something to enjoy and think things change once in awhile, but it seems so strange to me. 

Could this be breeding behavior? Or possibly something is stressing them out? 

• Like 1

IME they lay mostly on the underside of broad leaf plants- Amazons in my case. The mother Oto is usually somewhere nearby. 

Resized_20210423_164434.jpg

Resized_20210423_164340.jpg

Resized_20210423_164243.jpg

Their spawns are not large- I get anywhere from 3-20 babies. 

Babies are tiny and translucent usually hang out along the top waterline of the tank when new. You can see a lot of what I've been through on my Accidental Oto Keeper journal- link in my signature/tag line below. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have something like 14 in my 40; and they don't school at all; they all go which ever way and you can find them in all parts of the tank. Now the pygmy school - and when i feed them many of the oto will join the pygmy and create a giant swarming mass of buzzing bees. One thing about oto is there are many different species and I wonder if the different species have slightly different behavior....

• Like 1