Drastic diffrence in PH and KH

Vexus

So, I started testing my PH and KH and got some results that I'm unsure about. Using the API GH & KH liquid test kit, 1 drop = 17.9 ppm, my KH came out at a 4-5 (71.6-89.5 ppm) my goal is 2-5 so I'm good with that but my GH is what concerns me. My GH came out at 18-20 (322.2-358 ppm) WAY OFF from the 6-8 I want it at.

I live in Las Vegas Nevada, so I understand the water here is super hard, but I do my water changes with RO water from my LFS. So, wouldn't the GH be lower? There are times ill use treated tap water when I need a couple more gallons when I run out of RO but not often and I assume not enough to make that big of a difference. I tested multiple times; the first GH test was 13 (232.7 ppm) and the tests after that came out to 18-20. If it helps here are my other tank details....

36 Gal bowfront

Planted 

pH 6.8-7.0

GH 18-20

KH 4-5

TDS N/A (don't currently have a monitor for this)

Temp 74-76 F

3-4 squirts of easy green every 1-2 weeks

And a few root tabs once a month at most

My water changes are about 10 gallons give or take a few every 1-2 weeks 

Any help on what I can do to fix this is greatly appreciated.

On 7/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, Tommy Vercetti said:

My tank is GH 21 and KH 9. I use tap water. Ph is at 7.2 before the co2 turns on.

Very similar water to us slightly west as well.

On 7/9/2022 at 2:09 PM, Vexus said:

My GH came out at 18-20 (322.2-358 ppm) WAY OFF from the 6-8 I want it at.

Question, why do you need it at 6-8?

On 7/9/2022 at 7:29 PM, Vexus said:

Planning on adding shrimp once my plants get a little “bushier” first  and wanted to try and get the conditions close to what Iv been told it should be 

Depending on what type of shrimp that is or is not entirely true. I will not pretend to be a shrimp expert but I do know neos can handle a much wider GH range than others. I have heard of people breeding them in high GH. That said, it typically is dependant on what the person breeding them keeps them at. 

On 7/9/2022 at 5:29 PM, Vexus said:

Planning on adding shrimp once my plants get a little “bushier” first  and wanted to try and get the conditions close to what Iv been told it should be 

Depending on neocaridina vs. caridina shrimp you might be really good with the hard water.  Amanos in my tank don't mind it one bit!

Edited by nabokovfan87
spelling scientific names!