Tiger lotus vs red lily

On 7/8/2022 at 10:27 PM, dan12boy said:

I just want to know if there's a difference between the two as I see on the ACO website they're sold as two different things. 

This is a wee rabbit hole.

It appears that the Latin binomial: Nymphaea nouchali has a number of synonyms. Most common is Nymphaea stellata (i.e. Dwarf Aquarium Lily) as well as Nymphaea zenkeri (i.e. Tiger Lotus). Additionally, the binomial Nymphaea lotus has been used to identify the same species. 

ACO identifies the Tiger lotus as being native to Africa, whereas the Dwarf Aquarium Lily is listed as native to India.

But farther than that . . . I can only speak anecdotally that I adore the red variety. I have several in my aquariums. They have a different sort of life rhythm than other plants. My favorite stage is when they are just a month or so into growing out their lower red cabbage / lettuce-like leaves. The loft of pads to the surface is dramatic, but brings along some technical challenges with the water surface.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:45 PM, Fish Folk said:

This is a wee rabbit hole.

It appears that the Latin binomial: Nymphaea nouchali has a number of synonyms. Most common is Nymphaea stellata (i.e. Dwarf Aquarium Lily) as well as Nymphaea zenkeri (i.e. Tiger Lotus). Additionally, the binomial Nymphaea lotus has been used to identify the same species. 

ACO identifies the Tiger lotus as being native to Africa, whereas the Dwarf Aquarium Lily is listed as native to India.

But farther than that . . . I can only speak anecdotally that I adore the red variety. I have several in my aquariums. They have a different sort of life rhythm than other plants. My favorite stage is when they are just a month or so into growing out their lower red cabbage / lettuce-like leaves. The loft of pads to the surface is dramatic, but brings along some technical challenges with the water surface.

Wait is tiger lotus redder in your opinion? And you said it takes some time to grow its lilies but my dwarf lily grew its lilies quickly in like 1.5 to 2 weeks.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:50 PM, dan12boy said:

Wait is tiger lotus redder in your opinion? And you said it takes some time to grow its lilies but my dwarf lily grew its lilies quickly in like 1.5 to 2 weeks.

Here's some better information form the Co-Op blog.

I think I am referring to the same plant. My lily pads sometimes take ages to spring up. It depends on the light / nutrients / substrate / etc.

Like @Patrick_G mine are in that beautiful phase pre-pad. Once the pads rise, I find that they can multiply so dramatically that unless you have a good wide open surface area, they can darken the tank, blocking light to lower plants. Additionally, if not trimmed properly (see the ACO blog link above) they can very suddenly die away. They seem to also have "dormant" phases . . .

Edited by Fish Folk

On 7/8/2022 at 10:59 PM, Patrick_G said:

@dan12boy, the two red plants in the tank in my sig are Tiger Lotus from Aquarium Co-op. They looked spectacular for months. They’re much more red than the aquarium Lilly, but they’re also prime specimens. One has gone dormant and the other in on the way. I hope they come back strong. 

Did yours ever give out lilies?

On 7/8/2022 at 11:09 PM, Fish Folk said:

Here's some better information form the Co-Op blog.

I think I am referring to the same plant. My lily pads sometimes take ages to spring up. It depends on the light / nutrients / substrate / etc.

Like @Patrick_G mine are in that beautiful phase pre-pad. Once the pads rise, I find that they can multiply so dramatically that unless you have a good wide open surface area, they can darken the tank, blocking light to lower plants. Additionally, if not trimmed properly (see the ACO blog link above) they can very suddenly die away. They seem to also have "dormant" phases . . .

Thank you! I think I might end up moving mine from my 20 gallon because it is pretty big. It's the dwarf lily. I might just put it in my 75 gallon once I have a better light for the tank and after I scape it some more.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:14 PM, dan12boy said:

Did yours ever give out lilies?

It tried, but I trimmed them so the plant would stay compact.  I also have a variation that has green leaves with red spots. I let that one send out lily pads. 73C63D95-5310-46CD-B714-6CD6729EA566.jpeg.0cafcc81612d0d7d468cdbe1862f8fc2.jpeg

• Like 1

@dan12boy here are my 2 DAL from the Co-op. They were a little slow to start (not surprising, our house stays cool and they are not in a heated tank) but once they committed to sprouting they committed 100%

20220707_210634.jpg.09cfb82e667fa5233744410a20c4c422.jpg

As Patrick said, even more red in person.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2022 at 9:54 AM, Fish Folk said:

Just snapped these. Everyone is gathered ‘round the Tiger Lotus for storytime…

6978F1AD-352E-4259-A82D-FF711659DF97.jpeg.37262f27e873edcb9960b92f8bb06bb0.jpeg

0E8207FC-779D-4436-BAED-C2C51F959167.jpeg.941f71b4f46dfcabb58dc943c553d050.jpeg

458ADC18-7C14-419D-90CB-CD74E4017D37.jpeg.950e8fd42249c99de5b063b2ffb2fce3.jpeg

This looks absolutely stunning!!! I'll try to get this effect in my 75 gallon once I get a better light. 

• Like 2