Matt's fish doings

I have been posting about some different projects recently so I figured I may as well consolidate my future postings into a single journal... for the most part.

My most recent project, beside my pond, has been setting up my 5g(8g?) tank as a shrimp tank. I found it at a thrift store and this was the tank that started my journey of aquariums. I had some shrimp in this tank (with a betta, which did not go well) but had no idea what I was doing (the cherry shrimp all died) and so I haven't touched shrimp for about 3 years.

I removed the old LED that was installed on the inside of the tank and DIY'd a functioning stand for a 12"stingray light. I added old eco-complete substrate and some crushed coral along with leftover drift wood from a previous setup. I ended up using a cycled sponge filter and water (along with the mulm) from another tank along with some plants from that tank.

I added catappa leaves, acorn caps, and wonder shell, my hope was to create an environment for success. It ran for a few week and developed quite a few micro organisms that I have not yet identified (daphnia/cyclops related?) while I fed it parodically. I noticed the hitchhiker-snails (has anyone done a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy w/ snails meme?) were doing well and I was itching to put some shrimp in, so I went to my LFS and picked up a few different ones trying to make a "skittles" tank.

I noticed that one shrimp was berried and she still was tending the eggs after I had transferred the shrimp in. Imagine my excitement a few days later when I saw a few tiny shrimplings hanging out on the glass. Over the past few days I have noticed them hanging out on the wood and such so hopefully they are here to stay. It has only been a week but I have more hope for these shrimp than the first ones I bought (though I still have an Amano shrimp who went through all(most?) of my mistakes over the last 4 years and has survived).

Here is the tank with a melon sword (couldn't compete in the 45gal) some amazon fernlings and Christmas moss (my favorite over java).

image.jpeg.1341c41525e009edd79c855a94e31bc6.jpeg

First spotted baby shrimp:

image.jpeg.eb263dd540d021f53a156d2a8dd88ecc.jpeg

One of the mature yellows. The shrimp seem to eat off the glass so I have neglected cleaning it.

image.jpeg.a2bdae46cbf3a57b8475e258577536c7.jpeg

2nd Baby Shrimp:

image.jpeg.d734fef9ac7166f51eea9fae134208c2.jpeg

Edited by Dancing Matt
  • Like 4

So I was negligent with taking pictures but I finished working on my new pond (for now) yesterday. I moved over the media and plants into the bog filter and hooked up the PVC to the DIY  under gravel filter along with the pump and spray bar. When I was done I was staring and noticed a fry swimming in the current. I looks like at least 2 goldfish fry survived the move from the 70gal tote (the goldfish spawned right before the move and I relocated some of the eggs into the old bog filter bucket). Just another example of "life, uh... finds a way"

image.jpeg.083cf16055daa1c9b39a2bde038801a6.jpeg

The bog filter is where the white clouds will be able to hide.

image.png.1c94881a19e605471916f8f27dcd17a9.png

Made the holes for the spray bar too small then too big... Good enough for today.

image.png.4c3406156e28904b352715662de1de35.png

The goldfish seem to enjoy swimming up into the shallows, they end up almost out of the water... A behavior I am very curious about.

image.png.7e0effb03d95a94fcf6916f5518d9b28.png

image.png.3209dbffd84bb8281621783cf74f6f4e.png

When all was done I decided I am not very happy about all the PVC pipe that was visible and the noise of the pump (faint hmmm-ing) so I may come back to my original idea of making it air driven. By the morning the water was cleared up, though still green, (a lot of gunk from the filter made the water very turbid) and I could see the gravel in the bog.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:01 AM, Dancing Matt said:

@Patrick_G Do you have any idea as to what is causing you difficulty?

Yes and no. I think I lost a bunch of shrimp in my original shrimp only tank because I hadn’t let the tank season long enough. Now I think it’s mostly predation by fish, I see shrimlets and some grow but the population seems to shrink or stay stable at best. 
I’m eventually going to try another shrimp only tank. I’ll let it season for a long time and if I add fish they’ll be something very gentle like Otocinclus. 

Nice looking pond! Are those single tails or Sarasa Comets? 

Here’s some of mine. I have a mix of Sarasas, Single tails and one Shubunkin. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 1:36 PM, Dancing Matt said:

@Patrick_G They are "common goldfish" from a big box store, a couple have long wispy tails. What is the difference between "single" and "comet"?

The folks at my local Koi place call Commons “single tail”. They’re the shorter fish with short rounded tails. They call Comets and Shubunkins “double tail” and they charge more for them. They have longer bodies and longer tails. It’s a reputable store but I’m not sure their terminology is correct. I think maybe all three are single tails. 
I need to do some more research since they’re among my favorite fish. They definitely water puppies. 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:53 PM, Patrick_G said:

They definitely water puppies. 

Ah, best I can tell three of mine have short fins (common?) and three have long fins (comet?). They definitely have a lot of personality, that is to say... I have trouble not feeding them when they are at the top begging for food 😉

On 7/11/2022 at 12:59 PM, Patrick_G said:

Yes and no. I think I lost a bunch of shrimp in my original shrimp only tank because I hadn’t let the tank season long enough. Now I think it’s mostly predation by fish, I see shrimlets and some grow but the population seems to shrink or stay stable at best. 
I’m eventually going to try another shrimp only tank. I’ll let it season for a long time and if I add fish they’ll be something very gentle like Otocinclus. 

Mine is a species only tank and while It is not "seasoned" (only been up for a month?) it definitely got some seasoning so it will be interesting to see how well it goes.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 3:15 PM, Dancing Matt said:

I have trouble not feeding them when they are at the top begging for food 😉

Oh yes, mine are beggars too, and they have some serious puppy dog eyes. I figure that as long as the parameters stay safe they can eat 2-3 times a day. 

• Haha 1