Thinking of just starting over!

Hello all! This is my first post on this forum besides the introduction. Where do I start...

I've been a fish keeper for about 2 decades and have raised all types of fish. About a year ago, I decided to try my first ever planted tank. My goal was to start small and get some experience under my belt before I transformed my 75g to a Jungle style planted tank because that is my main goal. Did a ton of research and got a 10g and went to town. I decided to use BDBS substrate with root tabs because I love the look.

How it started... and how it's going now...

20211102_170743.jpg.f09d8956174b7f5f4f81326a23586ea1.jpg

The above pic was my tank about 4 months in. I was really liking my progress. I couldn't get my hairgrass to grow or produce runners for anything so it all ended up dying. I really wanted some sort of carpet so I purchased a CO2 generator (citric acid  and baking soda) and added it to my setup. This is where everything slowly went downhill.

I was having a hard time with water flow and proper CO2 distribution with my bio wheel hob so I purchased a Nicrew submersible internal filter which helped out a lot. My drop checker went from always being dark green to lime green so I thought I was on the right track.

About 2 months ago, I started to notice what I believe is diatoms slowly creep onto my plants and sand. Tried to remove as much as I could by hand before my weekly 50% water changes. Nothing I did helped the situation. Within 3 or 4 days, the diatoms came back stronger than ever.

20220617_163940.jpg.eed1d5fbcd46701cc4ccec793f445b44.jpg

20220625_153901.jpg.07e1e6083c877b78b193baf022a35964.jpg

Oh it definitely gets worse. I've tried adjusting my light schedules, fertilizers and more frequent water changes and nothing is working. I'm sure it's not my tap water because I have a non planted 75g with zero diatoms.

20210709_200432.jpg.9b5b0a874068ff76c1eef6430d683021.jpg

I ended up pulling a lot of my plants out (and adding a few) because I couldn't remove the brown junk from them and they were suffering. 

This is where I am now...

20220705_192551.jpg.91be27700616023cb7151a2551a4c306.jpg

My tank looks horrible and I'm at a loss for what happened and what I'm doing wrong. Ended up turning off my CO2 for now. My parameters are as follows.

PH 7.4

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 40

KH 11

GH 7

TDS 275

These readings were taken right before my weekly scrub and water change. Also ordered a phosphate test kit which will arrive shortly.

Currently dose Thrive all in one fertilizer once a week, usually the day after a water change. Also using Thrive root tabs. Water is chlorinated with API water conditioner. I have a Nicrew LED light that runs a total of 7 hours with 25% ramp up and down timer. Temp sits around 77°. Recently turned off my CO2 (2 days ago) but it was set to turn on one hour before lights and off 1.5 hours before lights out. No additional ambient light.

Currently stocked with Anubias, S. Repens, Red Tiger Lotus, Red Ludwigia and a sword. Livestock is one mystery snail, two Siamese Algae Eaters and three head & tail light tetras. If I have left out any important info, please let me know.

I'm seriously considering pulling everything out, deep cleaning the sand and replanting what I have and adding more plants.

Has anyone else had similar issues with an established tank? I know diatoms are common with a new setup but this tank has been running for over a year!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am open to hearing any and all suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and how to fix this issue.

20220625_153852.jpg

The brown is diatoms. It’s a stage new aquariums go through. They eventually grow out of it into the algae teens. It’s not anything you were doing wrong. 
This will help keep the plants from suffocating during the diatom phase. 

gently pull them up. Submerge them in seltzer water for 9 hours in the dark. Replant in the tank. Here is the whole article if you would like to read. 

• Like 2

If you really want to push a planted tank, I would look to drop GH to 4-5dGH and get KH down to 3dKH. I would look up Thrives dosing information and dose it anywhere from 8 to 10ppm NO3 as proxy. Keep up the 50% water changes and stop all root tabs going forward. Stop gravel vacuuming completely for now and increase water turnover to a minimum of 5X water volume. Triple the current plant load and add a decent clean up crew. Also, crank the CO2, and get that drop checker to mostly yellow. Keep an eye on the fish anytime you adjust CO2. In the picture, that drop checker is indicating low CO2. Only clean the glass and filter. Clean the glass weekly and the filter monthly. 

The biggest problem right now, low CO² and KH is too high. I would also upgrade the light to something better.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 3:53 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

If you really want to push a planted tank, I would look to drop GH to 4-5dGH and get KH down to 3dKH. I would look up Thrives dosing information and dose it anywhere from 8 to 10ppm NO3 as proxy. Keep up the 50% water changes and stop all root tabs going forward. Stop gravel vacuuming completely for now and increase water turnover to a minimum of 5X water volume. Triple the current plant load and add a decent clean up crew. Also, crank the CO2, and get that drop checker to mostly yellow. Keep an eye on the fish anytime you adjust CO2. In the picture, that drop checker is indicating low CO2. Only clean the glass and filter. Clean the glass weekly and the filter monthly. 

The biggest problem right now, low CO² and KH is too high. I would also upgrade the light to something better.

Yeah the drop checker is blue because I turned off the CO2. For whatever reason, things went downhill when I added it to my setup. 

So I shouldn't use root tabs and all in one ferts together?

I was hoping to avoid RO water but I may do some research on it. Thanks!

On 7/7/2022 at 3:38 PM, Guppysnail said:

The brown is diatoms. It’s a stage new aquariums go through. They eventually grow out of it into the algae teens. It’s not anything you were doing wrong. 
This will help keep the plants from suffocating during the diatom phase. 

gently pull them up. Submerge them in seltzer water for 9 hours in the dark. Replant in the tank. Here is the whole article if you would like to read. 

That's why I'm confused. This tank is a year old and I have major diatom issues. I will definitely read up on that. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Update to those who are interested. It turns out that i didn't have a diatom issue at all. It appears that it was the "Mopani" driftwood i had in the tank. I removed the wood, propagated my anubias and glued them to a aquarium rock. Problem solved! I haven't had the brown junk issue since.

I was confused because diatoms are usually easy to brush off things in the tank. This junk was difficult to remove but the reverse respiration helped save a few plants. Time to buy more now!

Never once crossed my mind that it could be the wood. Lost a lot of plants in the process but I'm glad things are looking better. Anyone else have this issue with wood? 

I took my time and boiled it several times and soaked it for 2 months before starting the tank. It was ordered from amazon saying it was Mopani driftwood but now I'm starting to wonder...

• Like 1

I’ve had pieces of all types of wood that were not seasoned  (aged and baked dry for years) as well that gunk tank up for awhile. I sit them on the porch to sun bake  for a few years they straighten out and often get cool sunbake striping when submerged. 

Im so happy Reverse Respiration worked for you. 

• Like 1