Dealing with chloramines from the tap

ccc24

What is everyone’s favorite way to deal with chloramines? They so sweetly cause my tap water to test out at 0.25-0.5 ammonia. 
We put a 3 part, in-line filter on the sink, no dice - still there. 
I’m honestly hoping to have a sufficient bacterial load to just consume it with the water changes but if anyone else has other ideas…I’m open.

I’ve tried googling and everyone seems to agree that it is annoying but about the only suggestion I’ve seen is a filter (we’ve tried 3 different types that all claim to remove it, none do). 

Two opinion I have seen folks use are riparium water holding and a water cycled water holding. Put your water in a large tote a few ate before you need it and have emergent plants in the hold. They will strip the ammonia.  Or a holding using a fully cycled sponge filter to clean out the ammonia but with this option you are left with nitrate. So maybe a combination of the two. 
@Torrey has spoken of systems for this. 

On 7/6/2022 at 5:05 AM, ccc24 said:

What is everyone’s favorite way to deal with chloramines? They so sweetly cause my tap water to test out at 0.25-0.5 ammonia. 
We put a 3 part, in-line filter on the sink, no dice - still there. 

Can you describe the setup and what filters were used?  Carbon alone should deal with it.

If it's a nano tank I would look into the zero water or undersink filtration.  I wouldn't want to be cooking or drinking water without having some ability to filter it and the in fridge filters would work, but won't be something where it works for the volume of water needed for day to day use.

Second option is going to be the larger, garage style, whole home filters.  Each filter is about 2-3 feet long and would work a lot better.

Third option is to have a filter setup and running to condition water. A large container, 55G+ with lava rock on the base and a pump running with an airstone or two.  Fill the container, change water after 3-5 days with that preconditioned water.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Can you describe the setup and what filters were used?  Carbon alone should deal with it.

If it's a nano tank I would look into the zero water or undersink filtration.  I wouldn't want to be cooking or drinking water without having some ability to filter it and the in fridge filters would work, but won't be something where it works for the volume of water needed for day to day use.

Second option is going to be the larger, garage style, whole home filters.  Each filter is about 2-3 feet long and would work a lot better.

Third option is to have a filter setup and running to condition water. A large container, 55G+ with lava rock on the base and a pump running with an airstone or two.  Fill the container, change water after 3-5 days with that preconditioned water.

My main tank is a 55 gallon. I don’t run any carbon.

we’ve been through about 3 different types of in-line under sink filters that all claim to remove it but it still tests present. Currently, we have an the in-line filter with a 3 stage under sink filter to specifically capture chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals and fluoride. No dice though and it still tests present. 
I wonder if I could run a 20 gallon in the stand to purify the water ahead of time. 20 gallons seems like a reasonable amount…

I wonder if just putting water in it would be enough to feed the bacteria and plants long term…?

On 7/6/2022 at 4:16 PM, ccc24 said:

we’ve been through about 3 different types of in-line under sink filters that all claim to remove it but it still tests present. Currently, we have an the in-line filter with a 3 stage under sink filter to specifically capture chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals and fluoride. No dice though and it still tests present. 
I wonder if I could run a 20 gallon in the stand to purify the water ahead of time. 20 gallons seems like a reasonable amount…

I wonder if just putting water in it would be enough to feed the bacteria and plants long term…?

You can get a water pitcher of zerowater from something like walmart for pretty cheap.  Something like a britta filter won't work as well but may also do the trick.  I'm DEFINITELY NOT saying you should convert over 55G at a time, but perhaps it's an easy/affordable way to test out the filtration method used and to see if those types of media used to filter water would work for you.

I imagine the system you have is something like this?
Stage 1: membrane filter
Stage 2: Carbon block
Stage 3: fine particle filter (potentially another chemical filter internally)
1.png.9fb497d5152a204c52205e593ed1ed8b.png

This is another setup:
2.png.ab6f2d4ca3a0c1398d31aa1164d14c21.png

Depending how yours is setup, it should have something with carbon to remove stuff like that. Potentially you can add another block/filter.  They make them so they can be modified from 3 to 5 stage filters.

Essentially, you're looking at something like this in your hang on back (or just a bag of carbon in a media bag).

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/carbon-infused-media-pad

I
f you can setup something to precondition water, especially on a 55G setup, you'd need 25-40G ready at any one time.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:16 PM, ccc24 said:

I wonder if I could run a 20 gallon in the stand to purify the water ahead of time.

I really like this idea! That's a good one.  Set the water in there with an AC and just have a carbon bag in the HoB, replace it every few months.

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 7/6/2022 at 6:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You can get a water pitcher of zerowater from something like walmart for pretty cheap.  Something like a britta filter won't work as well but may also do the trick.  I'm DEFINITELY NOT saying you should convert over 55G at a time, but perhaps it's an easy/affordable way to test out the filtration method used and to see if those types of media used to filter water would work for you.

I imagine the system you have is something like this?
Stage 1: membrane filter
Stage 2: Carbon block
Stage 3: fine particle filter (potentially another chemical filter internally)
1.png.9fb497d5152a204c52205e593ed1ed8b.png

This is another setup:
2.png.ab6f2d4ca3a0c1398d31aa1164d14c21.png

Depending how yours is setup, it should have something with carbon to remove stuff like that. Potentially you can add another block/filter.  They make them so they can be modified from 3 to 5 stage filters.

Essentially, you're looking at something like this in your hang on back (or just a bag of carbon in a media bag).

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/carbon-infused-media-pad

I
f you can setup something to precondition water, especially on a 55G setup, you'd need 25-40G ready at any one time.

I really like this idea! That's a good one.  Set the water in there with an AC and just have a carbon bag in the HoB, replace it every few months.

This what we currently run, and while it claims to remove chloramines…it doesn’t. I’ve also tried brita & it doesn’t either. 
The only filter we’ve found to remove them is a single type of in line refrigerator filter that we haven’t been able to locate in any other form. 
I’m thinking the 20 gallon to sit or beefing up the bio filter to consume it are about my only choices…

077D0DEE-1775-4DF7-AED8-A36D974551DD.jpeg

On 7/6/2022 at 5:10 PM, ccc24 said:

This what we currently run, and while it claims to remove chloramines…it doesn’t. I’ve also tried brita & it doesn’t either. 
The only filter we’ve found to remove them is a single type of in line refrigerator filter that we haven’t been able to locate in any other form. 

I'd recommend GE filters (what we have on the fridge and they have in-line filters)  it's very similar to what you see with the zerowater.  But, absolutely, the idea of the tank to precondition some water is going to be good.  Take some lava rock from the garden section, use that as substrate, then have your aquaclear as your filter and add some carbon in as a safety measure.

As for the undersink, I would highly recommend calling or emailing that company and see if they can help out.  For your own use as well as the fish, it's pretty important to get those dealth with.  From their website:

The PP filter effectively blocks out sand, rust, particulates, suspended solids, and other impurities. The GC filter effectively reduce chlorine, lead, taste and odor, other heavy metals, and improves the taste of water. The CT filter with added KDF prevents pollutants from accumulating and ensures the water safety furthermore.

If anything, you'd want to add a 4th stage and double up on the GC filter.  I believe something like this would work and you'd be able to add it at the beginning or end of your current setup and just replace which cartridges are where.

image.png.2724da0f0188c9809fd15b5f2ed80bdf.png

Edited by nabokovfan87