What is the difference between 2 of the same kind of medicine

Caidenh24

So I have had this question for some time now. If for example I need a antibacterial medicine and I have melafix and someone recommends like maracyn for example. Would my melafix work the same sense they are both antibacterial? This is just a general question. Thanks!

Hello @Caidenh24

On the ACO Youtube there's a talk given by an aquatic vet.  She recommends that for anything you're considering using looking up what is called an MSDS or MDS (essentially, it's a breakdown for safety across manufacturing which gives safety type roles the ability to use chemicals they may not be familiar with, proper storage, disposal, use, etc.)

As a part of those sheets it has the chemical breakdown of what is actually in the meds.  Some of them will say "proprietary formula" but sometimes you'll get an insight into some differences.  One might have the same anti-bacterial med but in a different dose, or with something else mixed in.

an example I can share....

API vs. the Fritz meds, for me I prefer the API versions (general cure, erithromycin) just because they are a bit finer and dissolve easier. It's a slight difference, but given the choice between the two my preference would be for the one that's slightly easier to use. 

Melafix MSDS: https://apifishcare.com/pdfs/products-us/melafix/api-melafix-safety-data-sheet.pdf

Consists of Cajeput oil (botanicals)

Maracyn MSDS: https://fritzaquatics.com/assets/files/uploads/Mardel-Maracyn-SDS-2014.pdf

Consists of Erithromycin (antibacterial med)

• Administrators

Melafix is the equivalent of putting aloe vera on a burn. Other meds are what a vet/doctor etc would prescribe. If it's a light sunburn, sure it might work, any actual damage you need medicine.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:02 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Hello @Caidenh24

On the ACO Youtube there's a talk given by an aquatic vet.  She recommends that for anything you're considering using looking up what is called an MSDS or MDS (essentially, it's a breakdown for safety across manufacturing which gives safety type roles the ability to use chemicals they may not be familiar with, proper storage, disposal, use, etc.)

As a part of those sheets it has the chemical breakdown of what is actually in the meds.  Some of them will say "proprietary formula" but sometimes you'll get an insight into some differences.  One might have the same anti-bacterial med but in a different dose, or with something else mixed in.

an example I can share....

API vs. the Fritz meds, for me I prefer the API versions (general cure, erithromycin) just because they are a bit finer and dissolve easier. It's a slight difference, but given the choice between the two my preference would be for the one that's slightly easier to use. 

Melafix MSDS: https://apifishcare.com/pdfs/products-us/melafix/api-melafix-safety-data-sheet.pdf

Consists of Cajeput oil (botanicals)

Maracyn MSDS: https://fritzaquatics.com/assets/files/uploads/Mardel-Maracyn-SDS-2014.pdf

Consists of Erithromycin (antibacterial med)

ok thanks! That helps. just to kind of clarify do you mean that some might do the same thing but have slightly different ingredients? I dont think this would apply for those 2 types of medicines but for like 2 antibacterial meds, they can treat the same thing, but have some different ingredients. Right? Thanks! 

On 7/3/2022 at 3:52 PM, Cory said:

Melafix is the equivalent of putting aloe vera on a burn. Other meds are what a vet/doctor etc would prescribe. If it's a light sunburn, sure it might work, any actual damage you need medicine.

So are you saying that 2 medicines can do the same thing but one can treat more severe cases? Thanks for the help!

On 7/3/2022 at 5:04 PM, Caidenh24 said:

ok thanks! That helps. just to kind of clarify do you mean that some might do the same thing but have slightly different ingredients? I dont think this would apply for those 2 types of medicines but for like 2 antibacterial meds, they can treat the same thing, but have some different ingredients. Right? Thanks! 

I'm trying to answer this without getting technical. There is a very technical answer as well that is extremely relevant.  The analogy being something like a blend of taco seasoning. One company might add more paprika, one company more garlic, etc.  Everything has the same "main ingredient" in the case of something like erythromycin.  One might be 5%, another 7%.  One company might add something else.  Maracyn from Fritz is equivalent to API Erythromycin.  General cure from API is equivalent to Paracleanse from Fritz.

The technical answer for why, for what other additives help or don't help, I can't speak to that.  I don't have the knowledge or education.  Sometimes things that are added specifically might not help or might be there to help the medicine dissolve, work more effectively.  It might even just be salt to help treatment.  There's a variety of reasons and as we continue to use the same meds over and over the things we are trying to treat for become more resistant, which lead to needing other meds or needing higher doses. 

On 7/3/2022 at 5:04 PM, Caidenh24 said:

So are you saying that 2 medicines can do the same thing but one can treat more severe cases? Thanks for the help!

No, he is saying that something might be labelled as "medicine" but is essentially snake oil.  You have to pay attention to ingredients and do research to understand what is an actual medicine.

Say you were out in the cold and you're freezing severely.  You get inside and put a blanket on.  What you really need is some hot broth/soup and a fire and warmth.  That's what cory is saying.  Make sure what you're doing is the correct thing and not just buying a bottle of something because it "claims it will" fix something. i.e. snake oil solutions.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-sick-aquarium-fish

On 7/3/2022 at 5:27 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I'm trying to answer this without getting technical. There is a very technical answer as well that is extremely relevant.  The analogy being something like a blend of taco seasoning. One company might add more paprika, one company more garlic, etc.  Everything has the same "main ingredient" in the case of something like erythromycin.  One might be 5%, another 7%.  One company might add something else.  Maracyn from Fritz is equivalent to API Erythromycin.  General cure from API is equivalent to Paracleanse from Fritz.

The technical answer for why, for what other additives help or don't help, I can't speak to that.  I don't have the knowledge or education.  Sometimes things that are added specifically might not help or might be there to help the medicine dissolve, work more effectively.  It might even just be salt to help treatment.  There's a variety of reasons and as we continue to use the same meds over and over the things we are trying to treat for become more resistant, which lead to needing other meds or needing higher doses. 

No, he is saying that something might be labelled as "medicine" but is essentially snake oil.  You have to pay attention to ingredients and do research to understand what is an actual medicine.

Say you were out in the cold and you're freezing severely.  You get inside and put a blanket on.  What you really need is some hot broth/soup and a fire and warmth.  That's what cory is saying.  Make sure what you're doing is the correct thing and not just buying a bottle of something because it "claims it will" fix something. i.e. snake oil solutions.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-sick-aquarium-fish

Ok thanks! I think I am getting way to technical about this stuff when I don't need to be but saying how one medicine might not really be a medicine and that it might be a "snake oil" helped. Thanks!

• Like 1