PH change in aquarium

macdaddy36

Today I tested my water for PH and found it had increased to 8.2, which according to online research is to high for my Harlequin Rasboras. On 6/15 the water was 7.4, and 6/22 the water was 7.6. According to my online research the maximum PH for Harlequins is 7.8. I added a few river rocks from the fish store and a few river rocks a local river. My question is that will the High PH effect the Harlequins, or not because they were slowly acclimated for a period of a few weeks. This aquarium is relatively new. If it is bad for the fish, is there anyway I can lower the PH without putting tannins in. I would like a PH of 7.8 or lower because I plan on keeping Honey Gouramis and Kuhli Loaches with the Rasboras.

I have Harlies and my tanks have in the past had wonky ph and they did just fine. Is it ideal? Eh maybe not but honestly if you have 0 nitrite and ammonia- the really will be ok. You can try and slowly lower the pH by adding botanicals- woods, and my personal fave Indian Almond Leaf. I don't really recommend adding any ph down type chemicals as they are not stable ways of maintaining pH. It's a slow process. Most of the time pH isn't going to matter unless you're keeping something like Discus. A stable pH is most important.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 8:49 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I have Harlies and my tanks have in the past had wonky ph and they did just fine. Is it ideal? Eh maybe not but honestly if you have 0 nitrite and ammonia- the really will be ok. You can try and slowly lower the pH by adding botanicals- woods, and my personal fave Indian Almond Leaf. I don't really recommend adding any ph down type chemicals as they are not stable ways of maintaining pH. It's a slow process. Most of the time pH isn't going to matter unless you're keeping something like Discus. A stable pH is most important.

Thank you, that is really reassuring!

I disagree about using chemicals lot lower ph. I do think there are lots of bad ones that I would not use. The thing with naturally changing Ph with any of those you can tell me how much, how slow, or if the Ph will change at all. The key it to use the right chemicals that you what they are. Im not say names because bmost don’t say what is in them so they are pretty useless. Good chemistry will give you repeatable results. I don’t think you are right that most tanks don’t need that precision I use a chemical for my discus and a second breed of fish that need low ph to breed. For most people I agree and I use peat and leafs in pantyhoses in the HoBs.

Well. We aren't really disagreeing here @Brandon p -as you did point out you use the chemicals for breeding fish and discus which I did happen to mention and think that yes absolutely they have their uses there. BUT MOST hobbyists will be keeping very common and very hardy fish like Harlequins which are kept in fish tanks across the USA in infinite kinds of water conditions (successfully). If you get them locally they will likely do well and fine in your water.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

@macdaddy36 you also advised your tank is new- so the pH will likely flux for a while especially while you are in the stages of adding other decor (like the rocks you mentioned but that goes for ANYthing- plants, wood, etc)- and as you add the rest of the fish you'd like to have. SO just be patient as you will see this go up and down quite a bit till things settle. As long as the bad stuff: ammonia/nitrites are 0 and nitrates aren't sky high (generally thought 40 or less is good) then pH can do what it wants until things settle in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 10:30 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well. We aren't really disagreeing here @Brandon p -as you did point out you use the chemicals for breeding fish and discus which I did happen to mention and think that yes absolutely they have their uses there. BUT MOST hobbyists will be keeping very common and very hardy fish like Harlequins which are kept in fish tanks across the USA in infinite kinds of water conditions (successfully). If you get them locally they will likely do well and fine in your water.

I think we are in the same page. I should have used more details. I have crazy water that changes a lot. I forget sometimes that I do keep fish that most people don’t. I do keep easier fish like others but they are so different in level of maintenance to sort of forget I do care for them where as the hard to keep fish are always on my mind. I was in the hospital in March and the first question I asked other than to see my kids was if my rare plecos were ok. They what to tell me a few discus died. Disagree was probably the word.

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1