Please help, unwashed substrate in my shrimp tank!

Froggirl

I have a stable shrimp tank which has been running for a couple of weeks now. I'd like to add corys, but I want to remove the gravel before I do so.

The tank has neocaridinas, a pleco, some ramhorn snails, live plants, moss, driftwood, and a layer of substrate (dennerle nutrisoil 6in1) that's covered by gravel. Only, the substrate was never washed as I added it before I knew I had to wash it.. Will removing the gravel and freeing up the substrate cause problems? I added a picture of the layers.

I also have two new sponge filters running alongside a juwel bioflow filter which will be removed in the future (the juwel) in case it's relevant to my question.

Thanks in advance!

pleco.jpg

There is no black and white answer here. I see you have a lot of mulm and build up there- this isn't just from "unwashed" substrate (which isn't going to do any harm generally- usually it just clouds up your water for days and days). The mulm and other tank build up though- that comes with uneaten food, fish poop and whatever else that makes it down there. While changing substrate isn't an issue- what can become an issue is ammonia released by all that gunky stuff. So sometimes the only thing to do is removing all inhabitants and basically starting over- but saving as much as you can with the good bacteria on it. 

On another note, I see no reason you need to change substrate just to add corycats- they will do just fine in there. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 10:36 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

There is no black and white answer here. I see you have a lot of mulm and build up there- this isn't just from "unwashed" substrate (which isn't going to do any harm generally- usually it just clouds up your water for days and days). The mulm and other tank build up though- that comes with uneaten food, fish poop and whatever else that makes it down there. While changing substrate isn't an issue- what can become an issue is ammonia released by all that gunky stuff. So sometimes the only thing to do is removing all inhabitants and basically starting over- but saving as much as you can with the good bacteria on it. 

On another note, I see no reason you need to change substrate just to add corycats- they will do just fine in there. 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

@xXInkedPhoenixX, that’s how that Nutribasis 6in1 soil looks. I’ve never seen it in person but from looking at internet videos I can tell it’s definitely different from other types of aquasoil.  In any case, I agree with leaving the smooth pebbles, Corydoras will do fine. 

By mulm do you mean the dirt on the gravel? Cause this picture was unfortunately taken right before a waterchange 😅

Regardless, thank you for the replies! Will even Pygmy corys be alright on this gravel? I always read that they'd need sand to stick their barbells into, but it'd save me a lot of headache if I can just keep the gravel!

• Like 1

@Froggirl - yes, they will all be fine no worries! The only way it might hurt them is if they try and dig in and get stuck or hit a rough patch but it has been my observation that it's VERY rare. It's totally untrue you can only keep corycats on sand or other fine substrates- they just like to dig so they like it- however there are hundreds of happy cories on this forum alone that live in tanks like yours! BTW, welcome to the forum!