Clown Pleco

Its Hutch

Anybody feel like the clown pleco whisperer? I'm having a hard time trying to sex mine and would like to attemp to breed them if I can find a pair.

Anybody have tips or tricks to help sex them? Do they need to be a certain size or age to be more reliably sexed?

Would a 10g be big enough for a pair or would a 20 Long be drastically better?

Male clown plecos have notable denticles over the back half of their bodies.  Females have minimal denticles.  Mine is male since I was finally able to get some decent pics of him earlier this month.  The best look at him I’ve had since I moved him into this tank over a year ago.  I’m purchasing a group of 4 clowns that appear to be 2 males and 2 females.  No breeding was noted in the previous owner’s tank.  We’ll see how things go.  I’m going to TRY to catch my boy and put him in with the others once they are done with quarantine.  Currently planning to put them into my angelfish tank.  We’ll see if that’s still my plan in a month.

See all the texture on his body behind the level of his pectorals?  He has significant texture everywhere, it’s just more noticeable on the back half.

37861AE3-5D5F-49EB-BC9D-B6BAEDF32F59.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Clarify.
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1