Hikari Prazipro question

yassy

Recently, I started seeing some fish flashing in my community tank 75 gallon and if it were just a single fish, I would use hospital tank set up and treat the fish but, I see a few doing it. The number of the fish in the tank is much more and smaller number of fish flashing but it is planted tank and so hard to catch more than a few,so I am thinking of treating the community tank.

It got Albino cory, burno sucker fish, shrimp, otto. I read on Aquarium coop store product page, it said plants, invert safe but is it safe for cory and burno sucker fish,otto as well?

Also, for direction, I read 1 tea spoon/20 gallon so, for 75 gallon tank, 4 tea spoon or is it best to be less but close to 3.50 tea spoon ?

It is single dose so I dose it once and observe 1 week and if it did not improve, 3.5 tea spoon again a week after? Or is it best to dose like on Sunday and dose again on wednesday and observe the tank rest?

I have never used it, but if fish were flashing this is the med you like to use for them,am I correct?

Thank you.

• Administrators

It is generally catfish safe yes. However flashing fish doesn't mean this would fix it. You could have low pH, another parasite it wouldn't treat, a bacterial infection etc.  In general, follow the directions on the package.  It wouldn't be a bad thing to let em soak for a week in prazi regardless.

@Cory,Thank you very much for your suggestion. I am glad to hear cory is safe with Prazipro. How about Burno sucker fish?

A few days ago, I noticed fish flashing.So, I checked water and ammonia was 1ppm (Usually, I can keep at zero but I might have been overfeeding the tank after 4 cory being in there plus 3 Burneo sucker fish besides bunch of guppies.).So, On that day, I dosed prime and stability and next day I dosed stability only since ammonia was still 0.5ppm.Then, next day, I checked water again which is yesterday, it was zero ammonia.

I am not sure if ammonia spike a few days ago made a few fish flashing and still doing it until it really is stable (ammonia zero for longer time?). I will observe but I like to be proactive as well.

Looking at the Hikari website for direction, just like your store website it says 1 tsp/20G water. So, if tank was 75 gallon tank, should I go with bit more than exact number of 3.75; meaning 4 tsp or at the tiny bit less than exact amount; 3.5 tsp?

I am using prime for water conditioner along with API stress coat plus. So, according to Hikari website, adding to the community tank might not be that much effective since prime might be sulfur based item ..

I am thinking maybe, I make repashy with 3-4 tsp less water and when it starts to get cool down and lukewarm and not set, I am thinking of adding Prazipro for 75 gallon worth and then feed it until it gone.

Would it work or it would not be good idea?

Thank you.

Current tank parameter; PH 8  ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10-20ppm 76F (but ammonia was 1 ppm a few days ago.. Majority of guppy in the community tank is not flashing. Just a few.)

• Administrators

I'm not a big fan of using meds in foods when you have multiple fish in a tank, theres no way to make sure one doesn't eat a ton, and others eat none etc. As for it being safe with the loaches, in our experience it has been. However there is always some risk.

@Cory Thank you for your reply. I see your point.

If I am using prime which prazipro might not be effective with, what other method do you suggest?

Other way around is to make new water with just stress coat , no prime, for hospital tank 3G and use prazipro once (0.8ml by syringe) and observe rest of the week?

I am confused with the dosing though. 1 treatment is 1tsp/20G water one time and after dosed once,it is done and just observe ?

Or 1 treatment is 1 tsp/20G 2 times and takes 1 week  (like dose on Sun and Thursday ) and done?

Thank you.

@Cory,Thank you. If it were ok with Prime, I will order it and dose once to the community tank and see if it helps.

My last question is, how much should I add to the tank 75G ? Should I go with little less; 3.5 tsp or little more; 4 tsp?

Thank you.

• Administrators

If it were me, I'd probably just do 4 tsp. Maybe a bit under as I filled the last teaspoon. There is usually some leeway in meds when it comes to aquarium, because they can't factor in all the substrate, decorations etc.

@Cory Thank you. I tested water again and still ammonia stays zero, no visual strangeness in guppies but more number of guppies started flashing and one of cory started flashing.. I am not sure if ammonia spike's aftereffects is just like us getting sick; you get sick and symptom gets worse and then go back to better.

Their appetite is normal (if you feed regular food,all take it enthusiastically) and poop is regular color, not stringy,no fuzz on body, no dots.. no red worm thread thingy from butt...gill colors are not very red nor brown...no breathing heavily or no hiding corner kind of guppies... Wonder what is making them flashing..Round almost ready to birth female guppies also flashing..

I understood for prazipro. It seems like it might decrease the oxygen if it were used with prime some,so maybe when I dose, I use airline tube with air stone on the tip, no sponge filter in addition to Aqua clear 110 HOB and sponge filter that are already running in my 75 gallon tank to increase the oxygen level.

And just dose one time 4tsp bit shy for the tank and see if it helps. If not, next week, dose one more time and no dosing for next 5-7 days. Site says one dose is lasting 5-7 days so, if you dose  once, it is acting for next 5 days and it is supposed to be added into the water as needed every 5-7 days,am I correct? This med is not like daily dosing med,correct?

I am originally from Japan (I live in VA though) and English is not my mother language. I am sorry if my English were not easy to understand.