Air pump too powerful?

Zekkis

Hey all - I have a 10 gallon rimless tank with community fish and during setup, I purchased the Aquarium Co-op air pump along with the Ziss air stone, but It feels like the air pump may be too strong for such a small tank. With this being a rimless tank, I don't have a lid and I have water splashing all over my desk from the bubbles bursting on the surface. My question is, if I was to replace it with the USB nano air pump, would that reduce the amount of air being pushed and eliminate the water splashing all over the desk? I'm hoping the less powerful pump will have an impact. 

TYIA!

Having had this exact same experience, I can say "yes."  The nano pump will lessen the amount of air being pumped through your airline into the tank.  I switched out an AC pump for a nano pump just a week ago on a 10g corner tank. (Really love the AC pump, just needed to put it on a bigger tank)  You also have a couple of other options.  You can add a control valve to the airline, and/or you can adjust the airstone to make smaller bubbles.  Smaller bubbles have a smaller "pop" The control valve will allow you to lessen the amount of air going into the tank, but it will also increase the back pressure which is bad for your pump.  A bleed valve will help with the back pressure.  Here is a video that I found helpful.  https://youtu.be/eTHyXM48sf0.  It explains how to set up the control valve/leak valve combo.  Pretty easy and inexpensive DIY solution.   You could also add a small piece of plastic or glass over just the corner of the tank where the bubbles come up. Not the prettiest solution, but it works.   

Edited by PaigeIs
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a few solutions

-use a plastic drink cup lid as a baffle to block the bubbles

-adjust the airstone to make the bubbles bigger, or smaller if that seems to work better. 

-get a valve for the pump so you can dial down the air flow. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 10:52 PM, Patrick_G said:

There's a few solutions

-use a plastic drink cup lid as a baffle to block the bubbles

-adjust the airstone to make the bubbles bigger, or smaller if that seems to work better. 

-get a valve for the pump so you can dial down the air flow. 

Get a valve.

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 8:17 PM, Zekkis said:

Hey all - I have a 10 gallon rimless tank with community fish and during setup, I purchased the Aquarium Co-op air pump along with the Ziss air stone, but It feels like the air pump may be too strong for such a small tank. With this being a rimless tank, I don't have a lid and I have water splashing all over my desk from the bubbles bursting on the surface. My question is, if I was to replace it with the USB nano air pump, would that reduce the amount of air being pushed and eliminate the water splashing all over the desk? I'm hoping the less powerful pump will have an impact. 

TYIA!

Floating plants also helps. I have 2.5 gallon tanks and the plants have kept the splash from the super fine bubbles exiting the tank. Also, I lowered the water level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1