Unknown snail

Any thoughts on what type of snail this is? It came home with the fish (as in I thought I only had fish). I’m fine with it taking up residence - I really just want to make sure it isn’t an assassin snail so it doesn’t get in and murder all my other snails. 

Once I get the fish acclimated into quarantine I’m going to try to get some better pics. I just really don’t want to panic the fish more than I have to by reaching in and getting it out yet. 

On 6/25/2022 at 4:19 PM, ccc24 said:

Any thoughts on what type of snail this is? It came home with the fish (as in I thought I only had fish). I’m fine with it taking up residence - I really just want to make sure it isn’t an assassin snail so it doesn’t get in and murder all my other snails. 

Once I get the fish acclimated into quarantine I’m going to try to get some better pics. I just really don’t want to panic the fish more than I have to by reaching in and getting it out yet. 

It doesn’t look like your pic linked properly.  Maybe try again?

Malaysian trunpet, or possibly a Hercules snail. MTS like to stay buried in the substrate, unless water quality if poor. Hercules will crawl all over everything. If it's a Hercules, it's a juvenile. I suspect Hercules based on the length/width ratio. I didn't know the difference until recently.

Those would be my best guesses, also, but I’m leaning a little toward trumpet snail.  I’ve not kept Hercules snails but my impression from pics are deeper grooves along the spirals?  Malaysian trumpets have more variation in color and in the depth, or lack of depth, along the groove.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:16 PM, ccc24 said:

Waited for it to crawl and have these from another perspective 

FA8B50DE-AE5A-426E-96AA-BE293BC3AEC1.jpeg

1B767D56-DB36-4446-A45C-CCE5BDD822BC.jpeg

Yeah, that width to length ratio really makes me think Hercules. You'll know in 6 months. Malaysian snails are smaller and quit growing at 6 months... Hercules won't.

Hercules versus MTS

On 6/25/2022 at 8:14 PM, Odd Duck said:

Those would be my best guesses, also, but I’m leaning a little toward trumpet snail.  I’ve not kept Hercules snails but my impression from pics are deeper grooves along the spirals?  Malaysian trumpets have more variation in color and in the depth, or lack of depth, along the groove.

@Odd Duck that's what I thought. From the 2 very different performing snail varieties i have in my tanks, and both were sold as MTS... the earliest difference I see is girth.... and even that doesn't seem to be 100% accurate.

The final determination is adult length, with the Hercules hitting 2.5" to 3" easy. If only they wouldn't breed until they were adults, so I could separate the adult breeders *before* they leave their babies all over the tanks.... Might take me a few years, eventually I will have the species separated. According to the peer-reviewed research, they shouldn't be interbreeding..... of course, we never expected pizzlies or growlers, so🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

I think you have Malaysian crumpet snails. They come in tons of colors and most get darker as the get older. I removed 2lbs of these from one 55 gal tank. I would not leave them unless you want to see lots of snails. They do a great job of cleaning.