I'm going to set up a 29 gallon guppy tank soon and I don't know what filter to choose?

I want something quiet because the tank will be in my room. I want the filter to start up easily unlike my aquaclear that will power off from the power flickering. and I don't want it to be ugly like a sponge filter also It need to be fry safe.

so after considering all that I was looking into the seachem tidal but  I cant cover the skimmer part with a sponge so it will suck up fry.

so I don't know what to do. any suggestions?

Jacob you basically have 2 solutions here for the following reasons.

If you do not want to suck up fry you will have to go with a sponge filter or a air driven box filter. Also you do not want to use a hang on the back filter because it will suck up fry and you do not want a lot of water movement from it. This will make the guppies weak from swimming against current which makes their immune system get weak and end up dying. My suggestion is to get a air driven box filter for your application. A sponge filter will work but since it is going in a 29 gallon tank it is going to make the tank dirty when you remove it to clean the sponge where a box filter will not make any mess to clean it when removing it from the tank.

Don't get me wrong I have used sponge filters for 40 years and love them but once you get to a certain size tank or smaller a box filter will make the best choice for no mess in the tank. For your 29 gallon I would purchase the big box filter from Jehmco.

• Like 1

Ok I pretty much have the exact same tank setup that your taking about. 29 gal guppy's with snails. I personally have 2 med co op sponge filters with a tidal 55. I keep the tidal set to a slow flow and it's very quiet as long as you keep the water level up. As far as it sucking up fry I have yet to have an issue with that as long as you keep floating plants for them to hide in. It has been set up for 5 months now with at least 5 different groups of fry. Yes sponge filters can be a bit of an eyesore but if you hide them behind plants you really don't see them other than the bubbles. Just be sure to keep a pre filter sponge on your intake tube and you should be ok. Tell me can you really see the sponge filters in my pics? And you can see I have a good amount of really small fishIMG_20220622_194525749.jpg.3b0917354eb687ef562086e5ac0f34c1.jpg

IMG_20220622_194520945.jpg

IMG_20220622_194532511.jpg

• Like 1

I don't really know anything about canister filters. I have never used them. I've only ever used the tidal series. I know alot of folks like the aquaclears but I have no experience with them. The biggest selling point for me on the tidal series is it's self priming since the pump is in the tank. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:27 PM, TeeJay said:

I don't really know anything about canister filters. I have never used them. I've only ever used the tidal series. I know alot of folks like the aquaclears but I have no experience with them. The biggest selling point for me on the tidal series is it's self priming since the pump is in the tank. 

I was looking into the tidal because I hate how my aquaclear is not self priming. but since you said the tidal doesn't suck up much fry I might just go with that, do you have a size you recommend for a 29 gallon? 

On 6/22/2022 at 8:34 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

I was looking into the tidal because I hate how my aquaclear is not self priming. but since you said the tidal doesn't suck up much fry I might just go with that, do you have a size you recommend for a 29 gallon? 

In my opinion bigger is always better I put the 55 on my 29 and the 35 on my 10 gal guppy tank. Especially if you plan on it being the only form of filtration. And with the 55 it has an intake tube not just the skimmer to draw water in. Just be sure to get the pre filter sponge for it. In the filter itself I keep the sponge the bag of bio media that comes with it then a bag of crushed coral to help keep my kh at a good level to keep my pH balanced.

• Like 1