Driftwood causing mulm

Zac

Hey all, 

For those who remember my previous posts about mulm, I think I finally realized the culprit after some comments on the forum. I noticed a large amount of mulm concentrated underneath the driftwood, along with the mulm building up on the driftwood. I noticed tons of snails on the underside of the wood when I took it out (probably 50+). Are there any suggestions on what to do? Will it whatever is on the wood causing it eventually go away? I’d hate to get rid of the wood because it’s a gorgeous piece I put together myself.

7E7FC37C-C175-49D3-A7DD-379A7A36C11E.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a piece of wood that does this in a 15 gallon cube.  When the mulm gets real thick around it I will use a small syphon to take some of it out.  The wood has been in the tank for about 6 months and still does it so I'm not sure if it will ever stop.

• Like 1

Removing detritus is one thing a hang on back filter is good for. Good flow stirs it up and then the filter removes it. I usually use some fine floss to catch it before it goes back into the tank. On my 75 gallon I have a HOB and a powerhead to provide extra flow and keep pockets of detritus from building up. 
In my sponge filter tanks I’ve been mostly just leaving it alone like @Streetwise suggested or siphoning it out like @Cheryl P.suggested. 

• Like 1