Mystery snail mystery - can anyone help?

Sal

On 6/22/2022 at 7:24 PM, Torrey said:

I was worried we had lost Watson (disappeared since my surgery) but spouse woke up to the right side of the tank being bedazzled so I'm fairly confident Watson is doing just as well as Houdini, and they had split tank duties.

I recently discovered that the nerites burrow into the substrate!

On 6/22/2022 at 4:59 AM, Brandon p said:

@Guppysnail is a great reference. She may use snello but if I have a problem with snails I ask her. 

Yes, she is a godsend and has been my crutch ever since my snail laid eggs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@Guppysnail   I  like the liquid calcium in the repashy idea the Kent liquid calcium said it was for Marine will that work n freshwater ?

I make repashy all the time  they get 1-2 times a week  i make for my snails cories  and bristolnose  they all eat from the same lot would adding the liquid calcium   hurt my cories and bristolnose  ? if it will hurt them  i can remove the snails only have 3 put in a tote while they eat and let them eat  the calcium repashy  ones  I might have to ask you a few more questions when i get the liquid  i do not  have allot of fish so i make 6 -8 little repashy  squares at a time for one week worth

the Kent directions  it looks like i need to add drops instead of teaspoon maybe start with 1-2 drops in the repashy mix  at a time 

I will have to try the Kale 🥬 i buy that for my kale chips i know they love spinach leaves 

Edited by Bev C

On 6/23/2022 at 12:37 PM, Bev C said:

@Guppysnail   I  like the liquid calcium in the repashy idea the Kent liquid calcium said it was for Marine will that work n freshwater ?

I make repashy all the time  they get 1-2 times a week  i make for my snails cories  and bristolnose  they all eat from the same lot would adding the liquid calcium   hurt my cories and bristolnose  ? if it will hurt them  i can remove the snails only have 3 put in a tote while they eat and let them eat  the calcium repashy  ones  I might have to ask you a few more questions when i get the liquid  i do not  have allot of fish so i make 6 -8 little repashy  squares at a time for one week worth

the Kent directions  it looks like i need to add drops instead of teaspoon maybe start with 1-2 drops in the repashy mix  at a time 

I will have to try the Kale 🥬 i buy that for my kale chips i know they love spinach leaves 

Api and the Kent’s I use are both water and calcium chloride. Nothing else. I do one or two  drops in a small batch and 1 cup repashy 2 cups water and 1-2 ml calcium in a large batch. They are designed for marine corals so they get the calcium needed.  Snails need to be able to ingest calcium as well but freshwater products are not targeted for snails. I can rarely find targeted snail food let alone nutrient boosts so this is how I do it. It seems to do fine but visible shell inspection and activity levels are my only gauge.

Edited by Guppysnail

On 6/23/2022 at 1:19 PM, Bev C said:

Thanks @Guppysnail  for the info wanted to get the right info before ordering from Amazon… would the extra calcium hurt the cories and my bristolnose  ?  do not want to hurt them 

I feed it to tanks with Pygmy and panda Cory, adult and baby BN pleco fry, shrimp, guppies, CPD  everything uses calcium as building blocks. I have never had issues. I used it in many tank with other fish and snails previously and they love it and I have never noticed issues. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 9:38 AM, Brandon p said:

Luiquid Ca does nothing to help sndd as old. T hart have no way to up take the ca in the shells. Most of the Ca will inend up on the substrate and help plant if you have a  plants growing

I agree that liquid calcium in the water column won't do as much as people think to help the shells. Added to repashy though? Ot added to other dietary intake? It (anecdotally from both personal experience with supplements, and visual anecdotes on how my snails and turle respond) certainlyappears to be more bioavailable than a harder form.