Non-toxic plants for growing out of the aquarium

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an ivy-like plant to grow out of an aquarium that is non-toxic to cats and dogs.  I love the look of pothos but have some leaf munching fuzzbutts in the house and I'd rather not take the chance.

I'm not much of a plant person.  I usually forget to water them but growing out of a tank should help that 😆

• Like 1

I can't keep a plant alive outside an aquarium either 😂

So far as I know, rubber plants are pet safe (depending on how avid yours are about munching). I don't know about growing them in an aquarium, but as they can be propagated in water I'd expect they can be. Maybe. It would be an interesting experiment! Not quite ivy like, though. 

Have you considered Swedish ivy? I don't have experience growing it, but it's another that is propagated in water so might work.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!  I have a rack of 40 breeders and a rack of 20 longs that I'd love to have some kind of ivy to grow down and around.  We might give pothos a try and see how it goes.  

That polka dot plant is amazing looking!  I do have a spider plant growing in a tank that the kitties have no access to.  I really want to get vines growing up the light though.

20220621_221053.jpg

• Like 1

Pothos is not very toxic. Your cat would have to eat massive amounts of it to be negatively affected by it. If you don't want to do pothos, you're going to have to avoid all other aroids, because they have the same kinds of toxins. As with all toxins, the dose makes the poison.

EDIT: I'd like to add this article from a gardening website about toxic plants. It offers a very nuanced perspective on the topic. Plus it was written by a veterinarian to boot...

https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3133

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Like 1