AquaClear Ammonia Remover and issues with 10 gallon.

Jen Abe

Hey guys - need some help on something.

I had just cycled my ten gallon and had slowly introduced fish to the mix when I noticed a leak in the seam. I transferred everything (rocks, plants, hob filter, heater, and driftwood) over to the new tank but decided to use a different substrate as I wasn't happy with the gravel and wanted to use the carib-eco complete.

Thought the bacteria would carry over and I wouldn't have any issues. Silly me.

I was testing and it seemed ok the next day, but my dwarf gourami 'Cousteau' was not himself (sitting at the bottom of the tank). Of course I panic and think he has Dwarf Gourami Disease - but decide to check the water again this morning and see my ammonia has spiked to 2 and nitrite is at .5 (almost 1). 

Immediate water change and some conditioner and Cousteau is back to his old self and all is well HOWEVER now I am nervous. I didn't see anything dead around the tank to cause the spike - all fish accounted for. Did I somehow break the cycle even though I moved most of the stuff over directly from the other tank including the filter?

I decided to introduce an Aqua Clear Ammonia Remover to my HOB so I can rest easier, however I wonder if this will further delay and inhibit my replacement 10 gallon from cycling properly. 

Has anyone used this before?

If you are curious about the stocking levels: 1 dwarf gourami, 8 harlequin rasbora, 1 hillstream loach and 2 mystery snails (one of which is only there temporarily)

Thanks for any help. I am a relatively new fish keeper - my twenty gallons were so much easier and less stressful than this 10. Go figure. 

A cycled is a trick thing, especially smaller tanks.  It sounds like your tank cycled, but just barely.  It wasn’t  quite broken in, so your cycle crashed.  

I’m not sure how effective the ammonia remover is, but recommend watching very closely.  What kind of filter are you running?  

I am running a Fluval 20...ugh, I was worried it had crashed. I guess I am going to have to do a fish in cycle.

Do you think the ammonia remover filter media will prevent the bacteria from being able to do their job?

Jen

• Like 1

You’ll need at least some Ammonia to get the cycle started, but the good news is that you’ve probably got some bacteria started from the old tank even though it might not be quite enough to handle the load. Keep up the water changes so the fish are safe and before you know it you’ll have a cycled tank. 

On 6/21/2022 at 6:28 AM, Jen Abe said:

I was worried it had crashed. I guess I am going to have to do a fish in cycle.

Do you think the ammonia remover filter media will prevent the bacteria from being able to do their job?

I definitely wouldn't blame the ammonia on the tank crashing. It very likely was leeching out from the planted substrate, it's a pretty common occurrence.

The ammonia absorber won't harm or hurt the bacteria. It's there to "help out" and try to reduce the spike. You're going to see it continue to leech, so I definitely agree with your method of use. Keep tracking it and see how things progress.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:48 AM, Patrick_G said:

Keep up the water changes so the fish are safe and before you know it you’ll have a cycled tank. 

Exactly, WC are critical to remove the ammonia and give everything else a chance.

Edited by nabokovfan87