Java Fern appearing to melt

Hello! Please don't mind the questions, but the spots aren't uniform and are everywhere? Has it been like this since you got it? Are there new java fern babies growing out of the leaves? How much light/how bright/how long, and do you use any fertilizers?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not replying! I didn't see your post 😞 . 

On 6/21/2022 at 11:19 AM, Paul R said:

Hello! Please don't mind the questions, but the spots aren't uniform and are everywhere? Has it been like this since you got it? Are there new java fern babies growing out of the leaves? How much light/how bright/how long, and do you use any fertilizers?

I got the Java Fern from a friend and they already had some brown spots on them but not as much as now. There are big green Java Fern leaves now growing out and the old ones still are black and have holes in them. I have high intensity lights on them for five hours(4pm to 9pm) and I use Leaf Zone from API once a week and I used CO2 Booster from API daily. I would use aqaurium Co op products but I live in Australia and they don't deliver here. 

the "co2 booster" is an algaecide. you arent doing the plants any favor by using it daily. the leaf zone while an excellent product is pretty much just chelated iron.  quit using the co2 booster, and pick up an all in 1 fertilizer. java ferns typically dont take much, but the co2 booster(carbon) is doing way more harm than good  in constant dosing.

Edited by lefty o

On 8/3/2022 at 2:12 PM, lefty o said:

the "co2 booster" is an algaecide. you arent doing the plants any favor by using it daily. the leaf zone while an excellent product is pretty much just chelated iron.  quit using the co2 booster, and pick up an all in 1 fertilizer. java ferns typically dont take much, but the co2 booster(carbon) is doing way more harm than good  in constant dosing.

Thanks!

On 8/3/2022 at 8:50 PM, Kurt Brutting said:

My Java fern always struggled under high light. I moved them to shadier parts of the tank and they did much better. 

My light is quite cheap and we can't change the light intensity and there is only two colours, blue and white. I got some Water Lettuce to try block some of the light out but it grew too much and I think my Honey Gourami couldn't get a gulp of air and died. 😞 

• 3 months later...